What's new

Please check 64GB SDXC card

If you get the SP4, and have a 64GB SDXC microSD, please check and see if it can use it.
It seems the Surface Pro 2 and 3 models, people reported that it will either loose the ability to read the card or fails to even see it.
I tried it on my SP2 and It will work. But after a few minutes, the drive letter will change from "stuff:" to "SDXC:" and now will not read the card. You have to eject it for it to find it.
Or when turning on the computer, it won't even find the card (no drive letter) until I eject it and put it in a few times.
I hope the new SP4 doesn't have that problem.
I couldn't test it in the store's computer. You know, not being a "secure" thing to allow. :)

revmike

I've had a 128gb card in my SP2 and I have never experienced any of the problems that you've mentioned, nor with the 64gb one before replacing it with the 128.

OP
S

starstreak

I can't find it at this moment but one of the sites said it could be only related to the high speed sdxc card. Mine is rated for 95MBps read and 90MBps write.
And like others, it works fine on my camera and on my home computer. Only having issues while in the SP2.

mikejg

There were some issues with cards not having a good connection in the slot. I think that was only with the SP2. Check the forums. People put tape on the card to pad it out a bit. I had problems with my SP3 and it turned out that I had a defective SanDisk card. There was a bad batch. SanDisk replaced them but before I got my replacement I switched to a Samsung 64GB SDXC card and never had any problems with it. It's working fine in my new SP4 too (but it's only been a day). They changed the type of card slot in the SP4 to the springy type where the card pops out when you press in. The SP3 was just a friction fit. The new slot would be nicer if you swap cards frequently.

Not sure if this helps, but I just put the orange 64GB Samsung Evo card (SDXC?) in my SP4. It didn't read it at first and didn't see any driver installs come up. Removed it, put in a regular 16GB, no issues reading it, then put back in the 64GB and it read it with no issues.

OP
S

starstreak

I guess I have to try putting maybe a piece of tape on the card and see if that helps. Considering the SP4 has the same spring ejector (I think it does) I'm hoping this is something only with the SP2 I have so I can use the 64GB card in the SP4 when it arrives.

jtuck82

I guess I have to try putting maybe a piece of tape on the card and see if that helps. Considering the SP4 has the same spring ejector (I think it does) I'm hoping this is something only with the SP2 I have so I can use the 64GB card in the SP4 when it arrives.
I have a 64gb SanDisk SDXC and mine works just fine. I have the i5/8/256 SP4.

djfrown

Both my 64GB and 128GB SanDisk SDXC's work fine on my M3/4/128 SP4. I have interchanged them several time for music and videos this week with no issues.

MikemanSP4

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yup - From all of the various Micro SD cards I have used, super high speed, old as dirt, slow as mud - doesn't matter - Works fine. I would venture to say its your Card. Have you possibly troubleshot it down by trying other cards? It really sounds like you got a POS Micro SD card. Might wanna get another one. Just a thought