What's new

Please help. I don't want to do the same mistake again.

dimarche1975

Last year I bought a SPro 2017 (i5/4GB). I was quite satisfied but after a while the limit of the 4GB came out (at the time I couldn't afford the 8GB version). Now I'm ready to upgrade it, and I'm in dubt if to go with i5/8GB or i7/8GB. My main use is MS Office, web browsing, light Photoshop and Illustrator usage, Android studio (here with 4GB I struggle). Also, it's the processor difference so big between the two? I don't play games at all. Should the i7 last long in the year in terms of usage? What you guys will be if you were me? I don't want to make the same mistake again. Thanks, Diego

Deckyon

You will get longer, better use from the higher end. For me, with the videos and photos and light gaming I do, I went with the i7, 16GB RAM. You will notice a huge difference when processing photos (large RAW photos and a lot of them) and video (especially 4K, though I would not recommend the Surface Pro for a main editing machine).

As with any tech, buy the best you can afford. You will be happier longer. If you have to wait an extra month to upgrade, then wait.

You will get longer, better use from the higher end. For me, with the videos and photos and light gaming I do, I went with the i7, 16GB RAM. You will notice a huge difference when processing photos (large RAW photos and a lot of them) and video (especially 4K, though I would not recommend the Surface Pro for a main editing machine).

As with any tech, buy the best you can afford. You will be happier longer. If you have to wait an extra month to upgrade, then wait.

I also do agree with you, and i7 with 16GB RAM is best for everything. If you can afford it, just buy it.

My main use is MS Office, web browsing, light Photoshop and Illustrator usage, Android studio (here with 4GB I struggle).
I don't know much about photoshop and Illustrator but i know some IT Companies where such work is being done on i5/8GB. On that behalf, i would like to recommend to upgrade your system to i5/8GB config.

Moonsurface

Super Moderator
Staff member
From another perspective and bearing in mind the budget I was using a i7 Surface pro 3 for four years for everything from browsing to editing photos in Lightroom and I was happy with the performance, but then I saw a bundle deal on the 2017 mode 8gb 256 l with type cover for a lot less than the tablet alone so I looked into it. the i5 Kabylake benchmarks better than my old i7 in every way and therefore if I was happy with the i7 still I should be happy with the i5 especially since my needs have not really changed to get more demanding and the price was a LOT lower than my old i7 was when I bought it.