What's new

PLEASE- post your serial numbers here!

gdir

I think many of us are curious to know how well our SP3 is selling. I love my new toy and hope that the sales numbers are high. The overall reception all through the internet and media is very good and I guess it's selling well. But how well?

While it's hard to guess the sales numbers, it might be possible to estimate the production numbers. Using a simple technique known as the German tank problem (see Wikipedia) it could be possible to estimate the production numbers if we gather the serial number and the production week (lot number) of our SP3s.

If you like to participate and share your information, please post the following information either in this thread or by personal message to me:

1. The model of your SP3: i3-64 GB, i5-128 GB, i5-256 GB, i7-256GB or i7-512 GB

2. The serial number of your SP3. The serial number is a 12 digit number. For privacy reasons, please replace the last 3 digits with XXX. You can find the serial number at several places:
  • on the sticker of the box starting with S/N:
  • on the back of the SP3, covered by the kickstand
  • in the app PC-Info
  • in PowerShell after executing the command gwmi win32_bios
3. The production week/lot number: As far as I know it's only printed on the sticker of the box. Look for LOT NO./DATE.

4. Your country. I suggest to use the Top Level Domain of your country.

I will collect the information and once we have enough data post the results here.

kristalsoldier

Very interesting!!!! I wish I could participate but my data set would be incomplete becuase I don;'t have the Lot number as I have discarded the box.

OP
gdir

gdir

Very interesting!!!! I wish I could participate but my data set would be incomplete becuase I don;'t have the Lot number as I have discarded the box.

Never mind. Please add your data even if it's not complete. It will help to estimate the range of the serial numbers per model.

SnifferMA

My Data:

Model: i5-256
Serial number: 008200442XXX
Lot: 1429

Known problems (could be interesting for statistic):
1 dead Pixel
yellow stripe left side on display

...sorry for my bad english

OP
gdir

gdir

I had a look at the serial numbers. At the moment I can't see a proper scheme. The numbers don't seem to be consecutive. I find it interesting that all numbers so far contain "42".

Please contribute and provide more numbers so that we can understand the numbering scheme.

Code:
Serial No.       Model    Week  Year  Country
0008402 42 XXX   i5-256   28    2014  de
0148924 42 XXX   i3-64    29    2014  de
0082004 42 XXX   i5-256   29    2014  de
0550803 42 XXX   i5-256               us
0476254 42 XXX   i7-256   29    2014  de
0555562 42 XXX   i7-256   32    2014  de

Last edited:

Tatletz

Model: i5/256
S/N: 020358343xxx