What's new

Please recommend *Urgent* Which SP3 ? Or Yoga 3 ? At.. Best Buy right now!

bluegrass

Having had one in such a situation for a year, I will now reply to every single "school" thread with the simple statement of "if you can't see the logic in buying a pen equipped device like a surface, then you probably don't have the brain cells to make it to the end of the school year" :p

I spent months deliberating what to buy for university last year. I went with an SP3. I would never recommend anything other than a surface for students following my experience.

If I've got half my class, die hard apple fans, expressing their desire to sell their new Air and buy a surface instead, well that sais something :) Takes a hell of a lot to convince an apple fangirl to switch to Microsoft :)

That's one of the most positive support statements I've ever read about the Surface. Thank you.

lparsons21

That is not the same thing as the Yoga 3 Pro. Lenovo loves that Yoga monicker and uses it on a few models.
The Yoga 2 Pro has the UHD screen and comes in i5 and i7 flavors
The Yoga 3 Pro has the UHD screen and only comes in Core M configurations

I understand the confusion. The easies way to see if it is a Yoga 3 Pro is does it have the 'watch band' hinge. Also the Yoga 2 Pro and Yoga 3 Pro are 13" screens.

dstrauss

Having had one in such a situation for a year, I will now reply to every single "school" thread with the simple statement of "if you can't see the logic in buying a pen equipped device like a surface, then you probably don't have the brain cells to make it to the end of the school year"...

This is one of the best statements about the Surface Pro that I have seen. You need to send this to Panos at Microsoft!

ScottyS

I see 2 big (and IMHO game changing) differences. @hughlle mentioned the pen. That's big, especially for taking notes using handwriting-to-text onscreen keyboard as well as handwriting on notes and pdfs, drawing diagrams etc.

The other is screen size and resolution. The SP3's 12" screen makes it easier to hold, carry and put in a bag and it's higher resolution allows more stuff on the screen when multitasking, a sharper look and can output to up to a 4K monitor via its mDP port.

fletch33

you made the right choice. i have the i5 SP3 and the Yoga 3 14" i5 and the SP3 is so much more enjoyable to use in my opinion and rarely use the Yoga.

enjoy

Nys299

I installed apps on my external card and the only issue I have is if the computer goes to sleep for more than 45min it wont detect the card upon wake up, I have a thread up and no one is willing to help at this point, so I moved all my vital apps to the main HD for now.... Ill contact microsoft support sometime in the future and report here.

I am assuming that your SD card is SanDisk? I have the same problem. In my frustration, I switched to a Samsung EVO 64GB. I have used the samsung card now for nearly 10 months and it has not disconnected once.

Nys299

I see 2 big (and IMHO game changing) differences. @hughlle mentioned the pen. That's big, especially for taking notes using handwriting-to-text onscreen keyboard as well as handwriting on notes and pdfs, drawing diagrams etc.

The other is screen size and resolution. The SP3's 12" screen makes it easier to hold, carry and put in a bag and it's higher resolution allows more stuff on the screen when multitasking, a sharper look and can output to up to a 4K monitor via its mDP port.

Actually one of the primary reasons why the SP3 is easier to hold and carry as a tablet, other than screen size and resolution, is because of the 3:2 aspect ratio. There are many 11-13 inch laptop and tablets in the market, but virtually all of them uses the 16:9 aspect ratio which makes the tablet ridiculously long. One of the reasons why I think that the Surface 3 is a winner, despite my dislike of Atom chips, is that the 10.6 inch 3:2 aspect ratio makes it the perfect note taking companion, and comic book reader, sketching tool, web-surfing tool and on and on and on. So don't discount the 3:2 aspect ratio. I also own a Yoga 2 Pro.....its a very nice laptop but when it is folded into a tablet.....the 16:9 aspect is a really turn-off.

dstrauss

I agree with everyone on the 3:2 vs 16:9 analysis. I'm sorry, but 16:9 is basically a Hollywood abomination to eliminate "black bars" above and below video media - what a crock, those bars are not a problem and I'm tired of the whiners who complain if there are bars - the real problem is the loss of usable screen real estate in the oblong format. Despite my dislike of Apple's MacBooks (actually, not the hardware, just OS X), the taller vs wider screens are heaven for any productivity and browsing experience.

malberttoo

I agree with everyone on the 3:2 vs 16:9 analysis. I'm sorry, but 16:9 is basically a Hollywood abomination to eliminate "black bars" above and below video media - what a crock, those bars are not a problem and I'm tired of the whiners who complain if there are bars - the real problem is the loss of usable screen real estate in the oblong format. Despite my dislike of Apple's MacBooks (actually, not the hardware, just OS X), the taller vs wider screens are heaven for any productivity and browsing experience.

100% agree. 16:9 is a terrible aspect ratio for a PC screen.