What's new

Please tell me I need not worry

BOBTECH

I bought an open box SP3-I5/256 device and it had a Admin password in the BIOS set, so Microsoft exchanged it. The serial number was in the 05 range.

The replacement came and it had heat issues. It too, after some discussions here, was returned. That serial number was in the 03 range.

Today I received notice of a shipment. The exchange unit is in the 01 range. I have a pit in my stomach. Is that unwarranted or should I be concerned? Any guidance is appreciated.

Yillbs

Completely unwarranted. In fact, reading over these forums will introduce you to problems you don't even know are problems just yet. you're fine :)

OP
B

BOBTECH

In fact, reading over these forums will introduce you to problems you don't even know are problems just yet. you're fine :)
It is not that at all. Rather, it is the fact that these are refurbs that they are shipping out. It means for what ever reason they did not work or the customer was not satisfied and they were returned. It is also possible that they have made possible improvements in newer units based on feedback that have not been made in older units. I understand that there have been mods in fans, heat sinks and paste over the lifespan of the Surface Pro 3 product line. Remember, I have received one less than perfect refurb already.

Thus, it concerns me that in getting what looks like a first gen Surface Pro 3 that I might have a unit that is more likely to exhibit problems, so I was hoping to hear from someone that has hopefully received a low serial number refurb and have them say it was awesome. or that Microsoft updates all refurbs to the latest specs.

Yillbs

refurbs come with a lot number, what is the lot number on the box ( when you get it ), itll tell you when it was made. They are refurbs, but this doesn't mean they were broken. Any time a place like best buy takes an exchange, they are not allowed to re-sell it, even as open box, they must send it back. Same goes for those who just didn't like it, or upgraded. MS does buyback programs that many people take advantage of. Don't forget other OEMS that sell it and take exchanges / returns, such as Dell.

OP
B

BOBTECH

All true, but each company that refurbs devices has different standards. For instance I have purchased literally dozens of iPads from Apple refurbed, never a bad unit. I have purchased far fewer refurbs from Dell, but no issues with those.

On the other hand, I have purchased exactly 1 Microsoft refurb and it was defective. A different track record. Similarly, I have experience with exactly 3 Surface Pro 4 devices. The first, my immediate boss's personal SP4 that I have helped with only a few minor items seems to work well, but he is the first to admit he uses it infrequently and isn't a good benchmark. The second, which I setup out of the box, a top of the line I7 device belongs to the company president and it had trouble right out of the box and never settled down. There were many little glitchy things that caused him to complain every day and ultimately return it for exchange. The exchanged unit had a completely different, very positive out of box experience and so far is quiet, although it is early to give a final report. But from the first power on, the first I7 device had problems. Thus you will excuse me if I express far more caution with Microsoft devices, refurbed or not.

It will be here tomorrow but I really won't know until Friday or Saturday whether it is a keeper. If it works, I don't care if the SN is 1. But I was wondering if lower serial numbers were more likely to experience issues.

Last edited:

Yillbs

All true, but each company that refurbs devices has different standards. For instance I have purchased literally dozens of iPads from Apple refurbed, never a bad unit. I have purchased far fewer refurbs from Dell, but no issues with those.

On the other hand, I have purchase exactly 1 Microsoft refurb and it was defective. A different track record. Similarly, I have experience with exactly 3 Surface Pro 4 devices. The first, my immediate boss's personal SP4 that I have helped with only a few minor items seems to work well, but he is the first to admit he uses it infrequently and isn't a good benchmark. The second, which I setup out of the box, a top of the line I7 device belongs to the company president and it had trouble right out of the box and never settled down. There were many little glitchy things that caused him to complain every day and ultimately return it for exchange. The exchanged unit had a completely different, very positive out of box experience and so far is quiet, although it is early to give a final report. But from the first power on, the first I7 device had problems. Thus you will excuse me if I express far more caution with Microsoft devices that have been refurbed.

It will be here tomorrow but I really won't know until Friday or Saturday whether it is a keeper. If it works, I don't care if the SN is 1. But I was wondering if lower serial numbers were more likely to experience issues.

i won't try to say I know, because I don't. However, I do know with the SP4, that's not the case. Many people from the 1st month of builds had fewer issues, the people in the " mid " range of the launch, had more issues, and th epeople with the ones from jan / feb were less prone to additional issues.

OP
B

BOBTECH

Well, perhaps the early ones were better built or the refurbishing has done a better job. A different experience right out of the box. Very cool, hardly gets warm on anything. It has its updates installed and it seems quite cool. Can't hardly make it get warm. It is a keeper. Now if I can find the right minimalist case. I am a klutz.

Thanks.