• I have fine scratches that I do not recall how I got them

Votes: 19 23.2%
  • My unit is chipping also

Votes: 14 17.1%

• Total voters

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I purchased a SkinIT from the Microsoft Store ($15), I have the Limited Edition Skulls Touch Cover so I made a Skin to match :)

icwhatudidthere

Yeah, I've had my Pro for just over a week now and it already has 2 light scratches on the back near the camera. Have no idea where they came from since I baby it so I'm guessing it'll be pretty scratched up by the time I'm looking to trade up to the Pro 2 next year.

souldier

I personally recommend the skins from sticker boy over the other options because they include side skins and not just the back cover and they fit well. The sides are very prone to scratching to especially when trying to put the power cord, putting a USB, and using the head phone jack. Also the carbon fiber skins from sticker boy actually have an actual texture and are not merely a print out of an image. I've had mine on for a while and I'm sure it has protected my surface.

I was originally hesitant to cover the vapor mg because its just so beautiful to cover and I felt covering it would defeat the purpose since you can't enjoy the vapormg casing with it covered anyway. But I like how you will not find even the slightest finger print or scratch on the skin. The skin itself is also attractive to look at and has a nice reflection in different angles of light, so I don't miss the vapor mg so much.

Last edited:

bertopl

I actually PREFER the look of my surface with the stickerboy skin. and like you were saying, the power connection is so much easier to get right when you're not worried about scratching up the sides. it's a snap now!!

MMU

People who worry about scratching the protective case of a portable computer really need a little bigger perspective on life. That's what the case is for (to take the inevitable scratches and bumps).

Of course, I never use screen protectors on my devices and, guess what, never had a scratch that was noticeable enough to lose a wink of sleep over.

zhenya

People who worry about scratching the protective case of a portable computer really need a little bigger perspective on life. That's what the case is for (to take the inevitable scratches and bumps).

Of course, I never use screen protectors on my devices and, guess what, never had a scratch that was noticeable enough to lose a wink of sleep over.

I also prefer no cases and no covers, but this thread really has more to do with the fact that this durable vapormg finish actually chips quite easily. My 6+ month old iPad also has no case, and has been used far more and far harder than the Surface, and you'd be hard pressed to find a scratch on it.

bertopl

before I bought my pro, I think it was cnet that had a video of the surface accidently falling to a hard floor during the review. the reviewer commented on how the finish didnt leave a scratch and how durable it is. misleading??? :)

J515OP

Super Moderator
before I bought my pro, I think it was cnet that had a video of the surface accidently falling to a hard floor during the review. the reviewer commented on how the finish didnt leave a scratch and how durable it is. misleading??? :)

Judging by the poll, no. They could be part of the 60% responding tough as nails.

ccny00

I have some fine scratches too, and a couple of smaller slightly deeper ones. I do not recall how i got them either.

I hate having skins and stuff on my phone/tablets either, but my friend surface pro 128 is in pristine condition.

I believe I took care of my Surface fairly well. I did do a lot of traveling with it...so i think the scratches could have came from sand when I was using it at the beach and when i put it back in my backpack...

oh well, it might affect my resale value a little bit, but not planning to get rid of this until at least a year from now...so the resale value will be hurt either way.