What's new

Please wait while we install a system update

Chris Stephen

Hello there.

Ever since I got my Surface Pro 3 i7, whenever there is a firmware update, my SP3 gets stuck with a black screen with the message Please wait while we install a system update. The first time this happened I waited 3 hours and then I finally got fed up and used the power button and volume key trick to reboot. Today after the new August firmware the same thing. I've been waiting almost 2 hours now and I'm now going to use the power button and volume up key to reboot. Everything seems fine after I do this, but my question is....

Is there something wrong with my Surface?
Why does this keep happening?
How can I prevent this from happening again when ever the next firmware update comes out?

Thanks!

leeshor

This is something that happens, even on desktops and just happened to a customer this week but so long as you wait long enough forcing a restart shouldn't be a problem. I would do a disk check in case something got corrupted with the forced restart.

As for why, it usually is a conflict with something that was running in memory but it's difficult or impossible to determine what. You may be able to reduce the possibility of that happening by doing manual updates and restarting before you apply them.

OP
C

Chris Stephen

Interesting.

OK. Thanks for the feedback leeshor.

Seems strange that this is even happening to begin with even with my SP3 fresh out of the box and I did the Windows updates first and then after a reboot I ran the firmware upgrade.

BWT, the disk check came back AOK.

Doesn't seem that this is happening to many people since no one else has responded to this post.

Thanks again.

VertPusher

Interesting.

Seems strange that this is even happening to begin with even with my SP3 fresh out of the box and I did the Windows updates first and then after a reboot I ran the firmware upgrade.

Doesn't seem that this is happening to many people since no one else has responded to this post.

Thanks again.
You're not the only one it's happening to me atm. I'm going try forcing a reboot. So far every firmware update has resulted in hang at that screen " please wait while we install a system update" it's been at least 1.5 hours now.

Paul Hyde

Interesting.

Thanks again.
Hi Guys,
it keeps happening to me also, every time there is an update. Thanks for the info.