What's new

Plugable UD-3000 Docking Station not working with Apple LED display

scfoster

I have a couple of Apple LED Cinema displays, one of which I've been using with the Surface Pro 2. Works great when I plug the mini display connector directly into the Surface Pro 2.

Purchased a Plugable UD-3000 docking station to cut down on the wires/connections. However, it does not appear to support the Apple LED display.

Here is a support thread with others who have the issue Problem with newest displaylink displayport device and Apple Cinema Display [Archive] - DisplayLink Forum

The posts started in 2012 with promises by Plugable to fix the issue "soon".

Looks like I'll be getting the Microsoft docking station (even if the ethernet connection is not Gigabit).

OP
scfoster

scfoster

Here is the response I got from Plugable (I commend the extremely fast response, even if it wasn't the answer I wanted):

Thanks for contacting us! Regarding the display, there are two issues:

1) The native resolution of the monitor is 2560 x 1440 which is a resolution that the dock does not support. The maximum resolution supported by the dock is 2048 x 1152. As Cinema Displays usually do not have a inbuilt resolution scaler, you would have to set the next supported resolution by the monitor which would be way lower.

2) It looks like having the DVI to mini DP adapter in the setup, is preventing the system from receiving the EDID (Extended display identification data - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) from the monitor. When a monitor is connected to a computer system, it sends the EDID which specifies to the computer, the capabilities (like native resolution and other modes supported) of the monitor.

DisplayLink based USB 3.0 Graphics Adapters are hot pluggable. What this means is that only when the system receives an EDID from the monitor connected through a DisplayLink device, does it show up in Windows Display Properties. If the system is unable to get the EDID from the monitor, then the DisplayLink driver does not detect the presence of the monitor and hence will not send the required signals for the display.

Unless you have another monitor that supports inputs via DVI, HDMI or VGA, I'd recommend using our 30 day hassle free return policy to return the unit to amazon for a refund.

ridgeburner

Just bought a MS dock yesterday on staples website. While sitting there debating if I should hit the purchase button I got a message telling me I was going to get $30 off if I bought within 15 mins. I quickly hit purchase then and got qty.4. They were delivered via staples courier this morning.

Just thought I would share since stock levels still appear to be low, and the $200 price is just past the easy to swallow threshold imho. The $30 off each made the decision easier.

OP
scfoster

scfoster

Were you logged in with a Staples account? Was it in your Cart? Or, were you just on the listing page for the item?

I created a Staples Rewards account, logged in and put the item in the cart. Waited 30 minutes..... nothing.

Just bought a MS dock yesterday on staples website. While sitting there debating if I should hit the purchase button I got a message telling me I was going to get $30 off if I bought within 15 mins. I quickly hit purchase then and got qty.4. They were delivered via staples courier this morning.

Just thought I would share since stock levels still appear to be low, and the $200 price is just past the easy to swallow threshold imho. The $30 off each made the decision easier.

Last edited:
OP
scfoster

scfoster

Thanks.... tried your approach but got nothing. Oh well. Ordered from Best Buy at full price. Would have been nice to save the $30.