What's new

Plugged In, Keyboard Battery at 0%, and Not Charging

globez

After traveling this weekend with the new SB and running down the battery a bit on purpose, the keyboard battery will no longer charge. I tried the firmware update today as well and it didn't help. I've been through all of the possible "processes" that I've found online to resolve this issue (uninstalling battery drivers, recycling, hard shutdown, etc). I've also tried the steps around unplugging, flipping the plug, shutting down and charging for 30 minutes, etc. Nothing has improved and it appears I have a dead keyboard battery.

Surface battery won’t charge | Battery not detected | Troubleshoot battery

upload_2015-11-2_22-5-49.png

After following one of the steps at the link above, my battery 1 and 2 are actually now opposite of MS documentation (Battery 1 tablet and 2 being keyboard). I know this has switched because I can detach the screen and it functions on battery. Regardless, it is obviously receiving power as the screen brightens as soon as it is connected. However, it stays at 0% and "not charging" regardless. Battery 2 will bounce to "in use" from time to time even while plugged in. I've worked with every outlet in my house and office today with the same behavior.

Any ideas as I'm about to throw this out of the window as I have a 3 day trip coming up on Wednesday.

Attachments

• upload_2015-11-2_21-57-48.png
    upload_2015-11-2_21-57-48.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 1,780

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Try detaching the screen and charging it only (dock connector).

After a few minutes, attach the clipboard to the keyboard, and quickly plug in the charger.

OP
G

globez

You've probably done this, but be sure you verify your AC adapter/charger is good.

It powers the device and charges the clipboard battery. I've tried flipping the plug at the outlet and where it connects to the SB.

Try detaching the screen and charging it only (dock connector).

After a few minutes, attach the clipboard to the keyboard, and quickly plug in the charger.

I appreciate the idea as it gave me a brief bit of hope! I'm still getting the same behavior. I believe it is time to reach out to Microsoft ...

OP
G

globez

Does the battery report imply there is an issue with BATTERY 2 given the full charge capacity is below the design capacity?

upload_2015-11-3_9-46-56.png

OP
G

globez

I'm not sure if it would be related or not but it also appears that the nvidia graphics card is not being detected. It just keeps getting better ... everything was great until Sunday. This is the i7, 16 GB memory, top model, etc.

upload_2015-11-3_10-6-31.png

OP
G

globez

... Microsoft has told me to do the two button shutdown for the fifth time ... I am apparently doing it wrong.