What's new

POLL: How long is the battery life of your Surface Pro 2017?

ptrkhh

Considering that battery life is one of their selling point this time, it would be interesting to see how the actual battery life of the SP2017 is like. Of course, none of us will actually get the best-case-scenario 13.5 hours with our average usage pattern, and thats fine. Thats just a fact with an advertising. What I would actually like to see is how it actually fares in real life, with the usage pattern of the average Surface Pro owners.

Without further ado, here's the link to the poll Have your say: How long is the battery life of your Surface Pro 2017?
(I had to use an external poll service because I post this on several forums and Reddit to get as many examples as possible. It is also great to let forum lurkers, the people who dont sign in, to join in)

If you have any tips and tricks about the battery life, be sure to share it down below :)

If you're not sure about your battery life, Windows has logged your battery life since you first setup the device. Here's how you can see your average battery life:

1. Open a command prompt. You can press Win+R, and type cmd in, and enter.

2. In the command prompt, copy and paste the command below, and press Enter.

powercfg /batteryreport /output %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\battery_report.html

3. Double click/tap on the battery_report.html file on your desktop to open and see your battery usage report in your default web browser (ex: Microsoft Edge).

4. Your average battery life (from full to empty) is on the very bottom of the generated report file, like shown in the picture below. (Its not from a SP2017, dont worry)

Last edited:
About 10 hours per battery life report for me. I use my SP plugged in for the most part.
Capture.PNG

^ Chrome likes CPU cycles hehe. For me, Internet Explorer is still the battery life champ. Edge sometimes eats too much CPU for no reason while IE just idles at 0.0 to 0.1% CPU.

jabbasoft

I get about 5 1/2 hours but I'm a heavy user with many Edge and Chrome tabs, voice/video calls via wifi, running Visual Studio etc as well as general MS Office stuff. I do find sliding the power setting back to Best Battery Life does make a difference, but I'm happy to burn through my charge as I can plug in again most days without running short.