What's new

Poor quality apps

nnthemperor

I wonder if others are experiencing the poor quality of some apps on Windows 10. They seem like the devs don't even care to add features or even maintain them. The Facebook app keeps crashing or most times opening the web version when you click on notifications in the app. Tapatalk is about the worst, will crash several times before letting you reply to a post. The Hulu app doesn't even load. Just to mention but a few. I find myself using the web versions of most applications.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

leeshor

Facebook is getting to the point it crashes on my desktop in any browser. The more they try to stuff into those pages the worse it gets.

Thread moved to x86 apps.

You are correct! Most of the windows store apps ae poor quality or simply non existent...I use Bluestacks to get mu android apps on windows and use that Kindle, faceboook, etc. Great choice

Plantje

I have played around with blue stacks, but found it pretty hard to use. At the time i wasn't able to access the play store and stuff didn't work at all. Perhaps I should give it another shot. To be honest: A good way to run Android apps or iOS apps on a Windows machine would be a game changer!

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
IDK if this is really any different than its ever been. 95% of iOS or Android or downloadable desktop programs for Windows aren't worth the digital space they consume. There was just an article up on ZDnet how Apple is going to "clean up" the App Store of all the abandonware and crap etc. etc. Sorry, this is not new or different.

With millions of apps you have dozens of the same thing which mostly look like some students homework project and half of them got a C or lower. Out of the selection one or two might be marginally useable but not worth anything which is why most of them are FREE.

Plantje

Currently testing Bluestacks again. Seems to be improved a LOT since I last tried it! I was planning on buying a cheap Android tablet or phone just to test if the app gap is really a big deal. If I hardly ever use it, it is not...if I find myself using the Android device all the time....maybe it is. Now I can just check if I often start Bluestacks.

I believe in the Netherlands (and perhaps some other non US countries) things are somewhat different. Here we have quite some companies creating their own apps; small companies compared to the US big players. And the answer is always the same: sorry, market share for Windows is too small.
These are hardly ever apps that you can't miss, but are just nice to have. For example an augmented reality app to look at pictures from dinosaurs. Those pictures are handed out by a Dutch grocery store, so it's very popular with the kids.
Or an augmented reality app for a tourist walk in the city where I live.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Currently testing Bluestacks again. Seems to be improved a LOT since I last tried it! I was planning on buying a cheap Android tablet or phone just to test if the app gap is really a big deal. If I hardly ever use it, it is not...if I find myself using the Android device all the time....maybe it is. Now I can just check if I often start Bluestacks.

I believe in the Netherlands (and perhaps some other non US countries) things are somewhat different. Here we have quite some companies creating their own apps; small companies compared to the US big players. And the answer is always the same: sorry, market share for Windows is too small.
These are hardly ever apps that you can't miss, but are just nice to have. For example an augmented reality app to look at pictures from dinosaurs. Those pictures are handed out by a Dutch grocery store, so it's very popular with the kids.
Or an augmented reality app for a tourist walk in the city where I live.
I assume they are looking at the phone market not Windows market... or even tablet market, or 2 in 1s but that's the mantra even Microsoft is pitching even though they mean to include larger devices, mobile first is taken to be Phones.

Plantje

Yes, that's exactly what they're looking at. A lot of them just don't want to acknowledge that Windows 10 has a huge market share. If one creates a Windows 10 UWP making a Mobile version out of it is done in a breeze (at least that's how I understood it).