What's new

Pops out of sleep when (dis)connecting the charger

Eplak

I have experienced that my SP4 pops out of sleep mode when (dis)connecting the charger. Therefore i have to be careful to (dis)connect my charger before i put it to sleep. Is this a known issue, or is it a flaw with my device?

Philtastic

Happens to me too. I find that if you just let it go back to sleep by itself, there's a high chance that it won't actually go to sleep and will instead burn through a lot of your battery, possibly getting very hot inside of a bag. I always disconnect the charger before putting it to sleep to avoid this.

leeshor

Exactly. That's probably the reason I don't see that on my SP4. I do see it on my Android tablet and my Android phones though.

Philtastic

And I just inadvertently tested what I said by unplugging it while it was asleep at my desk which woke it up and then pressing the power button to put it back to sleep. It burned through 15% of my battery during the 40 minute commute back home.

If you happen to wake it up from sleep by unplugging it, what I find works is to log back in so that you get to your desktop and then press the sleep button from there. I wonder if this happens because Windows doesn't flip the, in basic terms, sleep flag such that it still thinks it's asleep even though unplugging it woke it up which prevents it from automatically going to sleep after a period of inactivity.

OP
E

Eplak

Okay, nice to know that i'm not the only one. I have had some episodes where mye SP4 is extremely hot after 20 minutes in its bag, because of this. I think i will just use hibernate until it is fixed.

Yup I have this problem too and it's annoying. When I undock it I need to treat my SP4 like a newborn infant, letting it sit for a min listening to hear if the fan comes on. If I open the lid I think that may un-sleep it too, not sure. If I breathe within 10 feet it also may turn on the tablet :) So many times I put the laptop to sleep and then in my backpack only to hear that familiar hissing snake sound coming out of my significantly warmer backpack and significantly reduced battery. I mostly just hibernate it now. My android tablet which is $1500 cheaper works better in this regard. Frustrating.