What's new

Portable battery pack for the Surface Pro?

Sgl9x

This may be a stupid question but:

Does anyone know if the Pro can be charged through the USB port or does it have to be charged through the usual power port?

I'm trying to find a portable battery pack for it.

Thanks

Ashles

This may be a stupid question but:

Does anyone know if the Pro can be charged through the USB port or does it have to be charged through the usual power port?

I'm trying to find a portable battery pack for it.

Thanks

I think the PowerGorilla team are working on an adaptor for the Surface. PowerGorilla powers any laptop.

OnTheSurface

"One of the multiple Microsoft engineers on the AMA, which was led by Surface general manager Panos Panay, replied that such an accessory would only be possible if the magnetic accessory connector was designed to transfer high current between the peripheral and tablet's battery.

Then he wrote, "Which we did..."
"

M17x

Anyone knows if there a third party car charger from china? Perhaps DIY and cut solder to make a portable charger? Or simplest one is goalzero sherpa 50

M17x

I believe we can charge pro with usb based battery portable, as you can see it has options of 12v 3,6A or 5v, 1A.
I guess it wont fully charge it but it will extend battery life for pro.
As soon as i can get a cheap generic charger i will cut it and connect it to a regular brand portable battery. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360878604.467874.jpg

J515OP

Super Moderator
The 5v @ 1A rating is for the usb slot on the charger (standard usb power).

The 12v @ 3.6A is to charge the Surface. The Important part is going to be to match the 12V. The Amps will determine how quickly it will recharge (3.6A regular time, 2A ~1.5 times longer and 1A forever).

JohnF

"One of the multiple Microsoft engineers on the AMA, which was led by Surface general manager Panos Panay, replied that such an accessory would only be possible if the magnetic accessory connector was designed to transfer high current between the peripheral and tablet's battery.

Then he wrote, "Which we did..."
"

That statement was in regards to the extra connectors on each side of the keyboard connectors that the RT doesn't have. It was hinted that they might releases keyboard with extra battery capacity in it. That might be an option for a third party accessory as well but doesn't really address what might be available for the normal power charging port.

M17x

There are alot of battery out there with 12v and 2.1A for ipad or tablets.
Im sure there are modified 12v 3,6A out there too?