What's new

possibility of new keyboard for Surface Pro anytime soon?

daonei

Does anyone know whether Microsoft will announce a new cover for the Surface anytime soon? I absolutely hate my Touch Cover and want to purchase a Type Cover, but am holding off hoping that they will announce a new keyboard/battery combo for the Surface at their BUILD conference. But am starting to feel hopeless given there has been no talk whatsoever other than a possible smaller Surface.

Any thoughts? Should I just waste money and jump on the Type Cover? Purchased the Touch Cover solely because of aesthetics, but regret it because of it's lack of productivity.

Why I HATE and LOATH the Touch Cover:

You have to slam on the keys to input, which feels unnatural
Can't work or be very productive with this keyboard. Can only do minor things like respond to emails.
The trackpad is slow to respond and is often inaccurate
The trackpad has too much friction because of the material it is made of
The trackpad mouse movement is really inaccurate, which may be because of the resolution. But my wife almost slammed the Surface Pro because she was so frustrated.

Ruffles

I wish I had an answer for you. I've asked MS several times about Surface accessories and they won't say anything. I'd like to know if the accessory spine spec is open for license to 3rd party developers. I can only assume no since no one besides MS has made anything for the Surface. I'd like to see the type cover in different colors with a pen holder and small extra battery.

dleuen

While the keyboard of the Type Cover is much nicer than the Touch Cover I don't think you'll be much impressed with the track pad on the Type Cover. It sounds exactly the same as what you describe and add to that the fact that the mouse periodically will just freeze until you A) wait 2-3 minutes or B) detach the type cover and re-attach it.

bertopl

While the keyboard of the Type Cover is much nicer than the Touch Cover I don't think you'll be much impressed with the track pad on the Type Cover. It sounds exactly the same as what you describe and add to that the fact that the mouse periodically will just freeze until you A) wait 2-3 minutes or B) detach the type cover and re-attach it.

you don't have to wait a few minutes or detach the keyboard. if your trackpad freezes, just hit a key on the keyboard or do a real click (not a touch click) on the trackpad. hasn't failed me yet and a lot less frustrating.

mitchellvii

Does anyone know whether Microsoft will announce a new cover for the Surface anytime soon? I absolutely hate my Touch Cover and want to purchase a Type Cover, but am holding off hoping that they will announce a new keyboard/battery combo for the Surface at their BUILD conference. But am starting to feel hopeless given there has been no talk whatsoever other than a possible smaller Surface.

Any thoughts? Should I just waste money and jump on the Type Cover? Purchased the Touch Cover solely because of aesthetics, but regret it because of it's lack of productivity.

Why I HATE and LOATH the Touch Cover:

You have to slam on the keys to input, which feels unnatural
Can't work or be very productive with this keyboard. Can only do minor things like respond to emails.
The trackpad is slow to respond and is often inaccurate
The trackpad has too much friction because of the material it is made of
The trackpad mouse movement is really inaccurate, which may be because of the resolution. But my wife almost slammed the Surface Pro because she was so frustrated.

I disagree completely on the touch cover. I barely have to touch the keys at all for them to respond. However I found myself having to really hammer the type cover or it would miss strokes. I also find the track pad quite responsive and easy to use.

I think you have a bad touch cover.

Spaniard

The first time I saw a touch keyboard I thought about membrane keyboards :LOL:
The 10 Worst PC Keyboards of All Time | PCWorld
139100-atari400.jpg
139100-timexSinclair1000.jpg

Last edited:

kristalsoldier

I disagree completely on the touch cover. I barely have to touch the keys at all for them to respond. However I found myself having to really hammer the type cover or it would miss strokes. I also find the track pad quite responsive and easy to use.

I think you have a bad touch cover.

Then you have a bad Type Cover!!!!

CrippsCorner

The first time I saw a touch keyboard I thought about membrane keyboards :LOL:
The 10 Worst PC Keyboards of All Time | PCWorld
139100-atari400.jpg
139100-timexSinclair1000.jpg

I have the Atari 400! Gorf was an amazing game... never did a lot of writing on it though, I preferred my ZX Spectrum.

Anyway, I tried a Touch Cover in store and thought it was pretty awful tbh, so bought a Type Cover instead. I'm liking it so far but still haven't used it for a long period of time.

kristalsoldier

Does anyone know whether Microsoft will announce a new cover for the Surface anytime soon?

Well, last evening I was having a chat with Steve B. over a drink and when I asked him, he remained non-committal on this matter, among other things. Reading between the lines, I'd say that if MS was going to release a new cover for the Surface, it would be with their next iteration and not before.

Last edited: