What's new

Possible bug-Anniv update SP4 and CPU

Philtastic

Well, after a few hibernates, it looks like I now have this bug. My Core i5 is now stuck at 2.47 GHz even after restart, and my battery is draining pretty fast. Definitely need a fix to this problem or else this won't be a very mobile device.

drbwell

My surface pro 4 ran the update but failed at the end. So, I decided not to try again and disable automatic updates for the time being. How do I remove the files for the upgrade to open up space on my hd? I already deleted the temp files ( roughly 6 gb). Windows creates another Windows folder with the installation files, can I just delete the folder?

Philtastic

Having monitored my SP4 for a bit, it doesn't seem like it's draining battery as if it were constantly running at max speed. My unit doesn't get warm either (when nothing is actually using the CPU). It could be that this bug is mostly just misreporting the CPU speed. More testing required.

OP
Compusmurf

Compusmurf

Mine was sucking battery quick. Depends on your load. There is an experimental fix a "user" discovered, seems to work fine so far. Not MS approved but their engineers have it now.

OP
Compusmurf

Compusmurf

Here's the "unofficial" fix. Just as a warning, this is a registry file, it will make modifications to your system. That being said, I've looked it over and all it's doing is adding the missing/wiped out power profile registry settings. My battery is back to normal, under load it's not running fan full time and the cpu scales again.

So far, so good on mine. It's the VERY first post, the gdrive dl link.

Progress/fix for the Anniversary Update CPU scaling issue • /r/Surface

XJIOP

After update my sp4 had freezes and lags, then I downloaded via media creating tools a new iso with Anniversary Update, fresh install it and lags was gone. But now problem with blank tiles in start menu from new installed apps.

Damn it. I didn't notice till after I read this and check my speed. I was wondering why it was getting warmer faster. My SP4 i7 stuck at 2.19Ghz. And once, my CPU 2/3 was disabled or something. Only threads 1 and 4 was passing data. After I rebooted it was fine except for the CPU staying at max speed.

Another thing I noticed is from time to time, my screen brightness doesn't say brighter/brightest/etc. It said something else like bright and the light would go bright and dim when I click on the icon in the battery icon.

I hope they fix it soon. The easy fix, post #19 doesn't hold. On reboot the cpu will be on full speed again. You can do it again in the Processor Performance autonomous mode. Enable/disable, then i'll slow back down. But then you have to do that again once you reboot.
AND if you're running with the power cord, the CPU is at >3.29GHz even when less than 4% CPU being used.

Votality

I hope they fix it soon. The easy fix, post #19 doesn't hold. On reboot the cpu will be on full speed again. You can do it again in the Processor Performance autonomous mode. Enable/disable, then i'll slow back down. But then you have to do that again once you reboot.
AND if you're running with the power cord, the CPU is at >3.29GHz even when less than 4% CPU being used.

Seriously m$ have lost the plot, they need to better tests stuff before pushing it out. The secure boot problem is a fiasco. They had better release updated boot-loaders for pre anniversary windows releases soon.

Philtastic

What I've always found interesting is that these bugs don't often show up on desktop so it's about Microsoft not doing some obvious testing on Surface Pros in particular. Like, why does my lock screen show a blue background instead of the image that I had selected every time it comes out of hibernate? Not a big deal but that's something that would have been totally obvious to anyone actually using the Anniversary Update on a Surface Pro 4. Previously, for months, we had those sleep issues which would have been obvious if anyone at Microsoft actually used a Surface Pro.

Microsoft always makes a really good product but one with enough noticeable flaws that it's a frustrating experience.