What's new

Possible Return to Surface

mdanehart

I sold my surface RT back in early December, I have been using an Ipad 4 since. I actually missed the Surface but the wifi connectivity issues overwhelmed me. Just for kicks I stopped by my local BB and noticed the price drop to $349.99 on the Surface RT. Before I make the investment have most of the issues been resolved? Or would I regret moving the Ipad to a new owner? Many thanks in advance..

Jglnaz372

Since I loaded the 8.1 Preview I noticed many of the complaints I had (buggy, sluggish, no Outlook) has been resolved from my user experience. More apps have been added since December and you might be surprised in what is available, depending on how you use the Surface, for work or for entertainment. I use other tablets, especially the iPad, and find the Surface RT is right up there. It might even surpass the others depending how stable the final version of 8.1 ends up being. The iPad 5 is due soon with major advancements such as new form factor, lighter, stereo speakers, better cameras. But a new Surface might be coming out the next 6 months or so? In my opinion the Surface RT with 8.1 is a fine tablet, does all the work I need to do, and has been trouble free. Good luck.

OP
M

mdanehart

Thanks for the update. I plan to purchase a Surface today, not interested the 2nd generation Surface at this point or the newer Ipad version. I will have to admit the Ipad has been flawless and never any kind of issue, even after Jailbreakng.

compnovo

I sold my surface RT back in early December, I have been using an Ipad 4 since. I actually missed the Surface but the wifi connectivity issues overwhelmed me. Just for kicks I stopped by my local BB and noticed the price drop to $349.99 on the Surface RT. Before I make the investment have most of the issues been resolved? Or would I regret moving the Ipad to a new owner? Many thanks in advance..

I am a very happy RT owner so can't speak without bias, but if I were in your shoes I would ask myself "Why do I want to move on from the iPad? What does the Surface offer that the iPad doesn't?". I'm a Windows guy with a Lumia 900 and a good desktop for heavy gaming and content creation and the Surface RT complemented my existing setup perfectly. The bundled Office meets all my needs for work, and everything else meets my needs for play when I'm on the road (and more often than not when I'm at home). I have my own little Windows ecosystem.
If I hadn't already (over) paid for my RT I would jump on the current offer in a heartbeat (ahh, the risks of being an early adopter...), especially with the improvements from 8.1. But maybe your needs don't meet mine: Maybe you need more apps, or want to stay with that gorgeous Retina display, or you just plain prefer the iOS GUI. Then no RT device is going to make you happy, regardless of who builds it.
Just thinking out loud....

OP
M

mdanehart

Compnovo,
Yes the Ipad 4 is an excellent unit. I purchased this when I returned the Surface RT, but I enjoyed what the Surface had to offer except the wifi connectivity issues. I also had the Iphone 5/ Verizon, but traded it off for a Note 2. These are work devices and toys, use both equally.

I will keep the Ipad for now and start over with the Surface RT that I purchased from BB. Lets wait and see if the Microsoft engineers rectified the issues that I experienced back in November! Thanks ....

beman39

I've had my S/RT for 3 days now and LUV IT! I don't know why you had issues with your wifi (maybe defective?) but mine works flawless and connects to my phones hotspot amazingly also, dunno why people are complaining about it as it does MORE than I expected! I like it so much infact I am selling my slate 2 which has win8 pro and my old touchpad, as I don't need/want anything else now! I say go for it! :LOL:

OP
M

mdanehart

I installed the 32 dates and went full bore and downloaded Windows 8.1. The WiFi connectivity issues seem to be history, still a bit slow compared to the IPad 4, but I'll keep it! My minor wish list would be a note pad app like the IPad has with the email option and to bad Comcast is a POP and can't utilize the mail icon....otherwise excellent.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Comcast now is offering IMAP Support, it is buried on their site but you can convert your POP Account to IMAP and it works much better actually...

OP
M

mdanehart

Thanks. ..I will make the Comcast change when I get back home...any suggestions for note pad similar to the Ipad?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
OneNote, Journal and Notepad....RT has full Office so even Word can do more than the iPad Apps...

What Wi-Fi issues? I have used my RT everyday since last October and it has never caused me any problems at all. I LOVE IT.

+1

I got mine in December and haven't had a problem with it at all. Works with my wi-fi at home, works with my cellular hot spot and has worked everywhere I've tried to use it.