What's new

Possible Workaround for BT + Wifi on 2.4GHz

sdreamer

Thought I'd give this a try after this months updates, but if you did, you'd still notice that streaming audio of BT and trying to stream a movie or rather just use the internet would kill your download speed. I did a little bit of searching, and some people with SP didn't have this issue prior to Windows 8.1. I decided to try to find stock SP1 drivers for BT and Wifi and I believe I did. I installed them, and now I'm currently streaming a 1080p video on Crunchyroll while using my Motorola Buds (BT headset). Previously I could not even stream at SD. Running tests on Speakeast Speedtest would get me speeds of 0.33 Mbps. The drivers I found are here. I found that through this. I know get my 15 Mbps connection running Speakeasy's test while streaming music. One thing to advise, is hide the latest hardware update using Control Panel so the drivers don't update. YMMV
EDIT: My router only supports 2.4 GHz

CrippsCorner

I tried this also and it seemed to work a while but then went back to poor performance. I'm glad it's working for you (so far) but if it eventually fails don't forget you don't need to get a new router... I simply added an Apple AirPort Express to mine which creates it's own 5GHz network for you to connect to.

Although, tbh, it's still not a 'cheap' solution!

OP
S

sdreamer

Hmm...yeah it came back. Then I restarted and it was working again. I went even further to try changing some channel settings on the router to see if I can get less interference. I managed to increase my speed. I previously had it on Auto, so that was nice. The channel I'm using now for wifi is 4, but of course there are many other variables that go into this like what other networks nearby are using as well. Hope it keeps up.

CrippsCorner

Again, don't want to put you down but I spent weeks testing various router settings... in the end I had to give up :( hope you're more lucky than me! Though I fear for the worst I must admit.

OP
S

sdreamer

Yeah, I spent hours upon hours trying to fiddle with router settings before. Knock on wood, still able to use my BT headphones and stream video. Actually streaming a 1080 video on another tab as I'm typing this and it's playing flawlessly. That said, I still take a hit of about 2Mbps if I try running a test, but bandwidth is still enough to stream HD. I've tried it at various hot spots and no usage problems still. Hope it stays this way.