What's new

Post Your SP3 Power/Battery/Charging Issues Here

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
One big thing to consider is your usage patterns, using Desktop Applications will eat up your battery more than using the WinRT based Modern Apps...I worked in the Modern UI side for about 95% of my day today...

ZachBui

From fully charged, I managed around 5 hours. Most of my time was on browsing the web, listening to music, and developing/gaming. How are some of you managing 8-9 hours? I would guess it would be either updates, or use case?

kristalsoldier

From fully charged, I managed around 5 hours. Most of my time was on browsing the web, listening to music, and developing/gaming. How are some of you managing 8-9 hours? I would guess it would be either updates, or use case?

Yeah...gaming will probably kill battery very quickly. As for me, I have been using IE (Modern UI) and other Modern UI apps (like Mail, Flipboard etc.), but also Office 365 in conjunction with OneDrive. In other words, nothing that will stress the device and, fortunately, that represents my normal use case scenario. Of course, today was a bit different because I was also installing apps and updates etc.

EMINENT

I have fully updated so today i'm going to take it off charger to see how long it lasts for Sunday browsing fun.

So far, my first time off charge yesterday from 7pm until 2am, left me at 28% left with just browsing at 30% brightness on auto.

be77solo

One big thing to consider is your usage patterns, using Desktop Applications will eat up your battery more than using the WinRT based Modern Apps...I worked in the Modern UI side for about 95% of my day today...

I have read otherwise on these boards regarding IE.... it is said here that the desktop version of IE is better for battery than the Metro version due to less GPU utilization, is that not true? I find the desktop version more stable so considered it a win-win..... is what I've previously read here wrong? I realize the Metro version is more touch friendly but that's secondary to battery life.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I experience is the opposite, staying in the Modern UI increases my battery life, Desktop IE is rendered by GPU as well (all Windows Desktops since WDDM 1.0 - Vista). I typically use desktop versions of Apps when plugged in at my desk, unless I'm using OneNote during a meeting. BTW - I achieved 11 hours today.