What's new

Post Your SP3 Power/Battery/Charging Issues Here

Lokar

I'm having excessive Connected Standby use on my SP3 (i5, 256). I left the device on charge last night, unplugged it at 6:45, and when I turned it on at 8:45, I'd used almost 15% battery.

I did a report (attached a battery report, energy report and sleep study) and there's several Connected Standby uses that are very long with high power drain: 57 minutes, 18 minutes and 47 minutes, draining between them 7,782 mWh in under 2 hours.

I looked at the sleep study and it appears CPU Core 0 isn't suspending, it's running constantly during these Connected Standby sessions (although nothing else is, no apps or network activity).

Also, I was under the impression that the SP3 is supposed to hibernate eventually if you don't use it. I'm going to test it now and leave my SP3 alone for a little over 4 hours, but I'm already fairly certain that mine doesn't do that. I know for certain it doesn't when charging.

I'd really, really appreciate any help here.

Attachments

• reports.zip
    65.2 KB · Views: 607
Last edited:

doomzjay

My battery will not charge past 88%, even when left plugged in over night. when it reaches around 88% the battery monitor says "plugged in, not charging". If i unplug and then re-plug the battery into the surface pro 3 , it will charge another percent or two and then go back to "plugged in, not charging". Very frustrating. Anyone else experiencing this or have any advice for me?

included is a battery report

Attachments

• Battery report.txt
    22.1 KB · Views: 795

MilesTeg

After using my SP3 last night in bed I closed the cover and left it unplugged thinking it would go to sleep.

This morning I plug it in and power on the device and it boots into Windows just fine but then shuts down without the shutdown screen. My screen simply went black.

I boot it up again and the same thing happened - booted into Windows and the screen went black.

The 3rd time I booted up it attempted to do a system repair and then promptly shut down.

Again, all this happened with the SP3 plugged in. Just for the hell of it I unplugged it and turned it on and I was met with a low battery indicator on the screen. So does this mean the SP3 needs to have some charge to operate even if it's plugged in?

I'm also wondering why it didn't go to sleep when I folded it up last night. I love my SP3 but man Microsoft needs to sort these things out.

elixir

Why the first % drop after being charged 100% is always 94% or 93%?
Why not 99%, 98%, etc. first.?
Is there something wrong with my battery? are yours also always drop to 94% from 100%?

dportal2006

Why the first % drop after being charged 100% is always 94% or 93%?
Why not 99%, 98%, etc. first.?
Is there something wrong with my battery? are yours also always drop to 94% from 100%?

No that is definitely not normal. Any device you drop percentage in a linear manner.

elixir

No that is definitely not normal. Any device you drop percentage in a linear manner.

So yours definitely after 'charged 100%', unplug the power then the first drop will be '99%' ? Can you confirm?
mine is definitely always 94% or 93% although I have to wait a while like 15 min or so while using it. So during this first 10-15 min mine is always stays at 100%.

dportal2006

So yours definitely after 'charged 100%', unplug the power then the first drop will be '99%' ? Can you confirm?
mine is definitely always 94% or 93% although I have to wait a while like 15 min or so while using it. So during this first 10-15 min mine is always stays at 100%.
Yes when I unplug mine it goes from 100% to 99% and so on. But mine definitely doesn't last 15 minutes at 100%. It probably balances out in the end. Although I can see why it might be a little frustrating not knowing the exact percentage of your battery. If it only happens between 100-93% then I would not worry too much about it.

Mike OC

Mine does the same - goes from 100% straight to %94 after about 20 mins. After that it counts down %wise as normal so I havent paid too much attention to it.

Nucleon

Tell me, how important is it to complete a charge cycle every now and then? I don't keep a close eye on my battery so I don't exactly watch it tick, but it seems to last longer every time I do this. Is this a placebo effect or not?

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Tell me, how important is it to complete a charge cycle every now and then? I don't keep a close eye on my battery so I don't exactly watch it tick, but it seems to last longer every time I do this. Is this a placebo effect or not?
Well I recently performed this a few times over a couple months on my TWO year old Surface RT. battery capacity is still 93% of designed capacity although before it was down significantly because I had not used it in a while.

So the hand wringing over a few percentage points seems pointless and no real cause for concern.

Posts fretting over its down 3% so it wont last two years and such are unfounded and complete poppycock. People love to stir the pot or they're paid to create FUD; don't bite on that nonsense.