What's new

Post Your SP3 WiFi/Internet Issues Here

megatronium

1. I understand routers transmit on different channels, I just can't understand the logic of having a receiving Unit that doesn't match the channels available worldwide. What happens if you are away working in a different country? Surely the receiving Unit should have the ability to scan all channels?

2. Ordinarily I would move this amount by wifi. But there should be no reason why I couldn't. The question here is why doesn't the SP3 allow this?

3. The sp3 is not available in the UK at the moment, hence the purchase off ebay
I have asked for a return. At worst, MS have agreed to swap out the unit for a uk stock once they have them.

1. Different countries have different laws with regards to channel frequency and power levels via WiFi.

2. The SP3 does allow it. Not sure why you're having trouble.

3. I hope you get a unit you like!

uktivo

thanks. i do actually love this. Just i need something that is reliable. I travel the world amd need something i know will work where ever i land.

Fast-T

Do you have your router in a fixed channel? If you are using 5G, are you connected to low channels (less than 40)?

Does not matter. Happens at home and at work. It is actually the wireless device not being available. Neither WIFI or BT. There is no communication device in the system available until next reboot.

kevinlevrone

I think this has a lot to do with the Marvell chipset that Microsoft is using instead of the more mature Intel or Broadcom chipsets. The Marvell may be cheaper, or be more power efficient, but this is not a chipset to be trusted for reliable Wi-Fi connection. The SP2 also has problems with halving the Wi-Fi speeds when a Bluetooth device is connected. I suspect that they will finally get rid of the Marvell chipset in the next iteration of the Surface Pro.

UPDATE: After a longer connected standby i had again slower wireless. Problem not solved with todays firmware update :/

These were my driver updates today
upload_2014-8-12_19-22-1.png

Last edited:
Good news here from Germany. With todays firmware update of august my wireless problem is gone.
I had ALWAYS the problem that my speed was slow after connected standby. I tested it again and a a few times now and i always had full speed.

But there is no new marvell driver in the update. It seems to be another thing.

These were my driver updates today
View attachment 2919

Where do you check that list ?

I received 17 updates but not those. Anyone else?

Already tested. When you first connect to the wifi everything works as expected. As time passes wifi speed decreases.

While moving files in a 802.11n connection im getting 10 to 11 mb /s . An hour and a half later I'm getting 2 to 2.5mb / s. If I turn wifi off (via charm bar) and back on I get full speed back.

Im using the old Marvell drivers dated april 24, but I also tested it with new ones (jun 20) with the same results.