What's new

Post Your SP3 WiFi/Internet Issues Here

vsherry

I cannot connect to a specific Wi-Fi network that all my other devices access flawlessly. My Surface used to connect all the time, but it suddenly stopped. After some time, it abruptly connected again. A week later, it stopped anew. It has never connected again since. A Java applet scans my computer to confirm it has antivirus, and after it approves my computer, I am transferred to the page that says "Continue to the Internet." My other devices load that bar's homepage, and I am free to surf all I want. The Surface loads and loads and loads before failing altogether. The only device that does this. Very frustrating.

Theoriginalgiga

When I had the issue, as I said in the other thread Windows 10's Marvell Driver is the March Driver and gets updated to the June in the first round of updates. Rolling back to the March fixes the issue without needing to go back to December which at a Power Management issue.
do you think you can scrape your march drivers and PM me them/link to them? I'd like to test the march drivers. I'm in the same boat as most everyone else that they aren't available to is on windows 10, just the June which breaks everything.

Theoriginalgiga

I cannot connect to a specific Wi-Fi network that all my other devices access flawlessly. My Surface used to connect all the time, but it suddenly stopped. After some time, it abruptly connected again. A week later, it stopped anew. It has never connected again since. A Java applet scans my computer to confirm it has antivirus, and after it approves my computer, I am transferred to the page that says "Continue to the Internet." My other devices load that bar's homepage, and I am free to surf all I want. The Surface loads and loads and loads before failing altogether. The only device that does this. Very frustrating.
Which driver are you running? the OS? When you say you're unable to connect do you mean that you're unable to connect to a webpage or unable to connect to the network? Do you have a yellow triangle over the wifi symbol in your task bar if you're connected? when you open your wifi list can you see the network you want in the list? are you connected? does it say "connected" or "limited"? Have you tried deleting the stored network and rescanning/reconnecting for/to it? I know there are a lot of questions, but it's to help troubleshoot exactly where your issue is.

vsherry

Which driver are you running? the OS? When you say you're unable to connect do you mean that you're unable to connect to a webpage or unable to connect to the network? Do you have a yellow triangle over the wifi symbol in your task bar if you're connected? when you open your wifi list can you see the network you want in the list? are you connected? does it say "connected" or "limited"? Have you tried deleting the stored network and rescanning/reconnecting for/to it? I know there are a lot of questions, but it's to help troubleshoot exactly where your issue is.

I have no idea what driver I have. I am running Windows 10. I am able only to establish a limited connection with that network. Once any computer connects to that network, opening a browser takes you to a page that runs a java applet that scans your computer for antivirus. Once it's determined you have antivirus, you are forwarded to a page with a button that says, "Continue to the Internet." On every other device, this works. On my Surface, it just tries to load and load and load, and then it fails. You are forever stuck at limited. I have tried forgetting the network.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I have no idea what driver I have. I am running Windows 10. I am able only to establish a limited connection with that network. Once any computer connects to that network, opening a browser takes you to a page that runs a java applet that scans your computer for antivirus. Once it's determined you have antivirus, you are forwarded to a page with a button that says, "Continue to the Internet." On every other device, this works. On my Surface, it just tries to load and load and load, and then it fails. You are forever stuck at limited. I have tried forgetting the network.
Have you installed a JRE so that the Web App will run?

vsherry

Have you installed a JRE so that the Web App will run?

Yes, the restaurant's website points you to downloads for 32- and 64-bit Windows. If I didn't have Java, I could not run the applet at all. I do this successfully on every other machine I own.

Theoriginalgiga

Yes, the restaurant's website points you to downloads for 32- and 64-bit Windows. If I didn't have Java, I could not run the applet at all. I do this successfully on every other machine I own.
I know this is going to sound like one of those stupid questions but just to cover all basis, have you tried a different browser? I only ask because it sounds like the device is connecting and obtaining an IP address just fine. Also have you tried downloading the offline java installer? Generally speaking java will only install 32 bit through a browser. You have to install the 64 bit through the offline updater.

vsherry

I know this is going to sound like one of those stupid questions but just to cover all basis, have you tried a different browser? I only ask because it sounds like the device is connecting and obtaining an IP address just fine. Also have you tried downloading the offline java installer? Generally speaking java will only install 32 bit through a browser. You have to install the 64 bit through the offline updater.

I have installed the same 64-bit Java on both of my other devices with success, and I have tried Firefox, Internet Explorer and Chrome (when it still supported Java). Sixty-four-bit Java is available online as well. I have downloaded both versions.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member

Sounds like Windows 10 suspects a Cross Domain Attack or untrusted connection....

Shell

Wondering if anyone can help me please?

After windows 10 updates occurred on 5th Oct my wireless and bluetooth adapters became inoperable and have now disappeared from my network connections. Only have ethernet adapter.

I have had no previous problems with wireless or bluetooth on my SP3

Drivers are all listed in device manager and supposedly working properly. Have the lastest firmware update successfully installed (29/09/2015).

Microsoft told me to wait for next update and this has occured and I still have no wireless or bluetooth. I have uninstalled and reinstalled drivers.

I'm not a computer tech and my mobile office is crippled! Help please!

BearFlag

Does anyone know why the SP3 has more wifi issues than other devices (ie my iPhone)? I have installed the latest updates but since I got the device a year ago it has consistently had more issues connecting to WiFi networks than my iPhone.

My SP3 connects fine at home and work, but it is at certain public locations where the problems occur. For example if I'm at a coffee shop or at the airport, my iPhone quickly connects to the network and sends me to the login page. My SP3 on the other hand is hit or miss. Sometimes it cannot connect to the network no matter what I do (reset WiFi, type the address of the login page, etc.) and when I run the troubleshooter, I get errors like "dns server isn't responding" where it instructs me to reset the router. That's great except for the fact that I can't reset the router because I'm using a public network.

So my question is why does my SP3 have issues when my iPhone never does and is there anything I can change in the adapter's settings for it to be able to connect better?

vsherry

BearFlag, I have issues with one public network that I have been unable to resolve. Every other device, whether Windows or OSX, connects with no problems. My Surface, however, will not.