What's new

Post Your SP3 WiFi/Internet Issues Here

Yeah, this is getting frustrating. Ignoring the fact my wife gets mad every time she tries to use it and resorts to using our 8 year old Dell laptop, it really affects my work. Since I only have the problem in MUI apps, if I open a PDF from explore, it opens up Drawboard. That's fine. But because I am usually opening from a network drive, I cannot save my edits because of no MUI connectivity. It's completely baffling. I have had several cases where I thought the PDF had saved, but ended up losing all of my edits. And to reiterate, this happens in all MUI apps I have tested, not just Drawboard. It happens in IE, weather, and store as well.

Just an FYI, I am working with MS support on this issue. I spent an hour or so on the phone yesterday with no success, though the rep I talked to was very polite and patient. According to him, they have not seen my particular issue where MUI apps don't have connectivity, but Desktop programs do. It's odd, for sure, but it happens without fail every time I bring the SP3 out of Sleep/Hibernation. or whatever it does after a few hours.

If I can get this resolved, I won't have any major frustrations left. My fan seems to have settled, and I only get noise and heat when it's expected, like playing games or heavy network file transfers.

TeknoBlast

Just an FYI, I am working with MS support on this issue. I spent an hour or so on the phone yesterday with no success, though the rep I talked to was very polite and patient. According to him, they have not seen my particular issue where MUI apps don't have connectivity, but Desktop programs do. It's odd, for sure, but it happens without fail every time I bring the SP3 out of Sleep/Hibernation. or whatever it does after a few hours.

If I can get this resolved, I won't have any major frustrations left. My fan seems to have settled, and I only get noise and heat when it's expected, like playing games or heavy network file transfers.

The only time I seen this happen to me is when I use a VPN client. During the VPN connection, all my MUI would not function, but anything on the desktop does. Once I disconnect, then everything is back to normal.

DeltaXray

Having some weird issues with WiFi all of a sudden.

For example, if I use the sp3 on WiFi in one place, then put it to sleep and change locations, it still shows up as connected to the old SSID, so it has not updated.

It even happens with the same SSID, put it to sleep, wake up and it still shows as connected, but it is not. I need to disconnect and then reconnect to get any connectivity.

Seems to have only happened all of a sudden, no changes that I can think of.

Umesh

Having some weird issues with WiFi all of a sudden.

For example, if I use the sp3 on WiFi in one place, then put it to sleep and change locations, it still shows up as connected to the old SSID, so it has not updated.

It even happens with the same SSID, put it to sleep, wake up and it still shows as connected, but it is not. I need to disconnect and then reconnect to get any connectivity.

Seems to have only happened all of a sudden, no changes that I can think of.
I am seeing the exact same issue. Hoping that Microsoft and Marvell will fix this annoyance soon!!!

KaBaDaBrA

I have a problem where the wifi seems stable on the desktop, but whenever I am in a Metro app or game, Age of Empires as an example, it doesn't keep the connection. After about a minute it would kick out saying that it can't connect...and apps like flipboard stop loading images and additional pages. Desktop using Chrome or Internet Explorer seem fine. Anyone experiencing a similar issue? Have an i7 / 256gb model.

Kris

Anyone have the issue of losing connectivity while you are using it. Keeps happening to me, says I'm still connect for about a minute then cycles through says disconnected then connects again. Usually happens when I am streaming something from my computer. I'm, not sure if it's Windows 10 or not. Afraid to go back to 8.1 because the October update destroyed my WiFi driver or something and it flickers on and off every 30 seconds to 5 minutes. I tried enabling Hyper V and find the power management tab for the network driver but couldnt find it... Any advice would be appreciated.

suprafly

I haven't experiences, wifi behavior changes after the MS updates, things have been consistent and working as it should. Only every once in a while I will find that IE 11.0 browsing is the browser itself will become non-responsive and delay during scrolling and clicking and links pages.

I think I will need to re-run screen calibrate to see if I can get this corrected.

cemian

I don't know if this is a coincidence or not but I read somewhere on this forum about the power management tab on this marvel driver which is originally checked to allow to turn off to save battery...well I unchecked it just to see if it would fix the wifi issue coming out of hibernation but since then I have been getting :( blue screens coming out of hibernation...which is not good so I checked it back and now we'll see if I get more blue screens or not...anyone else experience this?

stonerwinst

My SP3 I7 is still having problems reconnecting to my AC router after waking up from deep sleep. The WIFI status icon will show an exclamation mark and the connectivity is "Limited". To fix it, I have to do one of two things:

1) Manually turn off and turn back on WIFI. The unit will reconnect to my router in about a minute.

2) Manually disconnect and connect to my access point.

Interestingly, when I take the SP3 out of the house to another 2.4 GHz network, it connects itself without problem. Also, when I bring the unit back to the house, it seems to reconnect to the 5 GHz network without problem.

I have a feeling the issue is related to the unit going into connected standby and then waking up. When waking up the unit in this state, the display will show a black screen with the "Surface" text and spinning indicator. Does this mean the unit is waking up from connected standby?

In other cases where I don't let the unit go into deep sleep, the unit will instantaneously turn on.

I love the SP3, but this issue is a downer.

Last edited:

KaBaDaBrA

My SP3 I7 is still having problems reconnecting to my AC router after waking up from deep sleep. The WIFI status icon will show an exclamation mark and the connectivity is "Limited".......

I have a similar, if not the same issue - I was able to improve my connection by only using 2.4hgz on channel 11. Waking up the device from sleep always gives me issues when using both 2.4ghz and 5ghz on the Asus RT-N66U router. The only thing that helped me then was doing a full reboot of the SP3 itself.