What's new

Post Your SP3 WiFi/Internet Issues Here

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have a work supplied i5 SP3. It has worked great for the last few months and the last week or so I can not open many web pages. It is very strange since about 50% of the sites work fine and others won't open at all or work VERY slowly. I have all of the latest updates, I've reset Internet Explorer a few times as well. Sometimes I can "Forget This Connection" and reconnect and I'm OK for a bit and then it'll slow to a crawl again.

I'm using Win 8.1 and IE11 desktop version. No addons, default settings for IE. I tried setting the network adaptor to 5Ghz and 2.4 Ghz only as well as suggested by another site, but neither helped.'

Any suggestions?
The Web is getting rife with adware and badly coded pages. Install Tracking Protection Lists which will cut down on the crap loaded on sites. I use Easy List, Easy Privacy, and Stop Google Tracking.

Note some embedded Youtube videos will not play with the later but will if you use the link to go to Youtube directly.

Eagle923

GreyFox, thanks for the reply. I checked and the Easy List is already active. The problem is that a number of web pages just never load (like CNN.com, FB, ESPN, DroidForums.net) and they worked well up until a week ago or so. Other pages are hit-or-miss (it took me 45 min of trying to load the registration page for this site, but now it is loading fine).

kundas1

I don't know what happened recently with updates or what, but now I'm having trouble connecting to WiFi now and sometimes I have to reboot my SP3 to get connection back! Or sometimes I connect but then I look in my WiFi connections and its showing me no connections yet I'm able to surf and now I'm also loosing connection all the time now...... very frustrating!

Gerke

GreyFox, thanks for the reply. I checked and the Easy List is already active. The problem is that a number of web pages just never load (like CNN.com, FB, ESPN, DroidForums.net) and they worked well up until a week ago or so. Other pages are hit-or-miss (it took me 45 min of trying to load the registration page for this site, but now it is loading fine).
Did you ever cleared the browsercache?
Did you try both MUI and Desktopversion of IE?
Are company policies used?
Did you check your DNS settings (do they use Opendns with filtering eg?)

A lot of questions......

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
... now I'm having trouble connecting to WiFi now and sometimes I have to reboot my SP3 to get connection back! Or sometimes I connect but then I look in my WiFi connections and its showing me no connections yet I'm able to surf and now I'm also loosing connection all the time ...

@kundas1

Sounds like you need to check your IPv4 settings of the wireless adapter. Make sure they are set to dynamic (unless you must explicity set these). My adapter settings changed to static after installing a Cisco VPN client, resulting in symptoms you describe.

kundas1

I never did any changes to my internet settings nor have I joined any company policies and have never had any problems till recently... even connecting to my phone is problematic when it was never EVER problematic before...

@sharp my ip4 settings are what they should be...

Gerke

What does eventviewer tell you?

And these symptoms can be caused by faulty antivirus sollutions which use proxies etc

Andres

So for me I've noticed horrible WIFI stability on a number of networks (mainly a Cisco Meraki at home, and Apple AirPort at home), where I have trouble maintaining a constant ping to the routers IP address. All have latest firmware, as does my surface pro 3 (has all updates installed).

I tried to disable connected standby (enabling hyperV) and changing the various power settings, this didn't seem to do a lot for me.

One thing I did notice yesterday, my network became highly unstable when installing windows updates (I needed to re-install office 2013, so needed SP1 for it). Further investigation shows that the network issues "might" start after windows update runs. Perhaps this is something to do with the "Background Intelligent Transfer Service".

Other steps I've tried so far, that worked sadly only for a while was to via device manager, uninstall the WIFI adapter and force a rescan to reinstall the device.

Considering installing Windows 10 Technical Preview to get around this issue (possibly) and also see if this will resolve the screen scaling issues I'm having (as with most folks, I need to connect to an external 1920x1200 monitor).

Have you tried disabling packet coalescing from the surface pro marvel network adapter?

jimbow

So I didn't see the issue I had last month posted. So I figure I'd post the issue and the solution that finally worked.

Issue: No wireless networks found, Driver was marked as NOT signed and was not able to use wifi for anything :(

Tried a reboot, tried a hard reboot, did some searching using my smartphone browser and finally came up with the following that worked:

In device manager DELETE the wifi driver - not just remove the device, but also remove the driver!
Hard reboot
Voila! wireless worked again!

spinachpie

Ugh. For the last month my sp3 has been having trouble and dropping wifi (requiring a restart).

I have restarted three times now and no wifi connection. Very frustrating

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Ugh. For the last month my sp3 has been having trouble and dropping wifi (requiring a restart).

I have restarted three times now and no wifi connection. Very frustrating
New drivers are on the horizon for the Marvell WLAN....