What's new

Post Your SP3 WiFi/Internet Issues Here

Moki

So, although I have to leave for work in a few minutes, I'd like to jump in and introduce the situation with my SP3 (and specifically the wifi issues) on my thread Hating my new SPro 3. Also, Malberttoo closed my old thread per my request, but oddly responded on it as a final post where I could not reply. So, I'd like to reply to his/her post here:

"IF after a clean install of the OS on your SP3, and then you continue to have issues when connected to random different AP's, then you probably have a hardware issue and would be worth getting the unit replaced."

Yes, I did a clean install and did not get results. However, from reading here and elsewhere, I'm almost completely convinced it's a driver problem, NOT a hardware problem. I am going to try and revert to the previous driver for the Marvell network controller and see if that does the trick. It seems that there has been issues directly relating to the Marvell's inability to work with the bands on the router, and it seems like maybe the newest driver created/contributed to these issues.

I'll post back with results later this evening or tmrw a.m.

Moki

This is for Theorginalgiga, who snuck in a post on my old thread before they closed it. I managed to snag a copy of the .153 driver you posted before the mods deleted it. I am going out try and revert to it if I can... I'm on W10 now and REALLY don't want to go back to 8.1. (Because).

I truly suspect it's a driver issue, not a hardware problem. What's weird, and I've seen this posted repeatedly by others: uninstalling and reinstalling sometimes "fixes" the problem for a while, but then, over a fairly short period of time, the slow wifi respon
se creeps back in. A strange occurance, but that's what seems to be happening with me.

Theoriginalgiga

I've been running the old drivers for the past 3 days, so far speed and response remains stable. I'll continue to test over the week to see if issues creep in. As I'm still on 8.1 my experiences might be a little different than yours. I'd be curious to know if anyone has had success installing the older drivers on windows 10. I'd also be curious to know if anyone is running the new drivers without incident who has thoroughly tested them.

I also agree it's a driver issue, I'm curious those who aren't having the issue what the difference in their system is compared to ours. Maybe we got a bad batch? Maybe those who bought their tablet from a certain vendor has the issue. I dunno, all I know is after spending this much money I'm not just going to accept the issue.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
When I had the issue, as I said in the other thread Windows 10's Marvell Driver is the March Driver and gets updated to the June in the first round of updates. Rolling back to the March fixes the issue without needing to go back to December which at a Power Management issue.

JDE100

I've been running the old drivers for the past 3 days, so far speed and response remains stable. I'll continue to test over the week to see if issues creep in. As I'm still on 8.1 my experiences might be a little different than yours. I'd be curious to know if anyone has had success installing the older drivers on windows 10. I'd also be curious to know if anyone is running the new drivers without incident who has thoroughly tested them.

I also agree it's a driver issue, I'm curious those who aren't having the issue what the difference in their system is compared to ours. Maybe we got a bad batch? Maybe those who bought their tablet from a certain vendor has the issue. I dunno, all I know is after spending this much money I'm not just going to accept the issue.
I installed the 8.1 12/14 driver in Win 10 and its working fine.

JDE100

When I had the issue, as I said in the other thread Windows 10's Marvell Driver is the March Driver and gets updated to the June in the first round of updates. Rolling back to the March fixes the issue without needing to go back to December which at a Power Management issue.
Could you please post a link to the March driver so we can test? As soon as I updated to Win 10 I was on the June Driver with no option to go back.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It should be in the list if you "Update Driver"....Let me pick....and then chose the one dated 3/24/2015

JDE100

It should be in the list if you "Update Driver"....Let me pick....and then chose the one dated 3/24/2015
It doesn't show up
Marvell.jpg

ericbonnet31

Hi,
I'm unfortunately also a victim of the Marvell network device, not working anymore even after a complete reinstall.
Surface support proposed me to replace my surface with a reconditioned one... this is only the second replacement after a screen defect on the first Surface I bought...
I suppose that with 17 pages of forum messages on theis topic, I'm not the only one.
Do you know if Microsoft did resolve this hardware or software issue, and if they can replace my Surface with a brand new one instead of a reconditioned one?
Thanks
Eric

JDE100

Hi,
I'm unfortunately also a victim of the Marvell network device, not working anymore even after a complete reinstall.
Surface support proposed me to replace my surface with a reconditioned one... this is only the second replacement after a screen defect on the first Surface I bought...
I suppose that with 17 pages of forum messages on theis topic, I'm not the only one.
Do you know if Microsoft did resolve this hardware or software issue, and if they can replace my Surface with a brand new one instead of a reconditioned one?
Thanks
Eric
I think this is a driver/software issue. Not hardware. Replacing will not help. IMHO