What's new

Post Your SP3 WiFi/Internet Issues Here

stonerwinst

I have a similar, if not the same issue - I was able to improve my connection by only using 2.4hgz on channel 11. Waking up the device from sleep always gives me issues when using both 2.4ghz and 5ghz on the Asus RT-N66U router. The only thing that helped me then was doing a full reboot of the SP3 itself.

What mode of sleep does your device wake up from to develop the issue?

When you experience the issue, does the WIFI report "Limited" connectivity?

Have you tried any of the 2 methods I mentioned to reconnect to WIFI without rebooting?

KaBaDaBrA

What mode of sleep does your device wake up from to develop the issue?

When you experience the issue, does the WIFI report "Limited" connectivity?

Have you tried any of the 2 methods I mentioned to reconnect to WIFI without rebooting?

Both default sleep mode (auto standby) and when I manually put it into sleep mode.

I tried reconnecting to wireless, flushing dns, uninstalling wireless and reinstalling etc. but that doesn't solve my problem, I do not get a limited connectivity - connectivity is there, but unable to browse sites and Metro apps with it showing cant connect etc.

Often general desktop browsing would then start working but Metro apps refuse to load any internet related content.

FossilFish

I have just started experiencing WiFi problems this week. Next to Comcast router, internet speed shows 126 Mbps and the browser works. In kitchen, internet speed shows 76 Mbps and won't load any internet page. Have owned SP3 for a month and this is the first time this happened. All updates are installed.

Tried turning WiFi off and back on, rebooting, disconnecting and connecting to the specific WiFi router, etc. No go.

Also noticed that the machine's brain was fully drained - couldn't open a solitaire game at that time while I was waiting for the internet to open up.

Looked for any setting that would alter processor speed - as in most Lenovo laptops. Didn't find any.

Update: in office at 54 Mbps WiFi speed, internet is opening OK in either tablet or desktop mode. Puzzling. My kitchen has not been a problem place for WiFi during the first month, until last couple days.

Last edited:

Kris

I have come to the conclusion there is no way to fix the WiFi issues. Only way I don't lose connectivity is if I have it plugged in. I hope Microsoft figures something out some day.

ScottyS

I have come to the conclusion there is no way to fix the WiFi issues. Only way I don't lose connectivity is if I have it plugged in. I hope Microsoft figures something out some day.
I agree. The head of IT were I work had me install a certificate from MS, that didn't help. Windows 10 didn't make any difference. Nothing will help.
Hopefully the SP4 or 5 (whichever I upgrade to) will work and I'm stuck with "Limited Connectivity" at a lot of places at work.

stonerwinst

Today, when I powered up my SP3, I encountered the "Limited" connectivity problem as usual. Rather than manually disconnecting/reconnecting or disable/re-enable WIFI, I opened the network adapters windows through "Change Adapter Settings", left clicked on the Marvell adapter and selected "Diagnose". Windows went through its rigmarole and it restored connectivity.

At the end, it popped up a diagnostics report. Part of the diagnostics is resetting the adapter (disable/re-enable, I believe). The report contained other information about the adapter and WIFI environment.

Just wanted to share another way to fix WIFI connectivity issues.

Eon

Not sure if this will help, but I uninstalled and deleted my Wifi drivers after getting some connectivity issues, then restarted and did a firmware reset.

Then I reinstalled the Wifi drivers which I downloaded earlier and did another restart and firmware reset.
http://www.microsoft.com/download/details.aspx?id=38826

However, my main issue was the SP3 would consistently crash and restart while in connected standby after 5-10mins and wifi connectivity would sometimes be patchy.

Just an FYI, I am working with MS support on this issue. I spent an hour or so on the phone yesterday with no success, though the rep I talked to was very polite and patient. According to him, they have not seen my particular issue where MUI apps don't have connectivity, but Desktop programs do. It's odd, for sure, but it happens without fail every time I bring the SP3 out of Sleep/Hibernation. or whatever it does after a few hours.

If I can get this resolved, I won't have any major frustrations left. My fan seems to have settled, and I only get noise and heat when it's expected, like playing games or heavy network file transfers.

Update: After not hearing from MS for a couple weeks, their CSR called me yesterday. He told me they have had similar complaints about wi-fi not working in Modern apps but working in Desktop apps. He also told me that I should expect an update/fix on the 2nd Tuesday in November. Maybe other wi-fi issues will be resolved at that point.

I could use some help from you guys. My internet *works*, it's just super slow on my SP3.

I recently got WiFi set up at my new apartment, rated at 18 Mbps, and my Surface Pro 3 (running Win 8.1, not the technical preview) is getting terribly slow speeds. I get anywhere from 0.5 - 1.5 Mbps download speeds, and surprisingly, from 1.5-2.5 Mbps upload speeds (upload is faster than download).

To make sure it wasn't my network, I ran a speed test off of a few other devices. On my windows phone, I consistently get 13 Mbps download speeds (triple checked to make sure it was on WiFi).

I haven't tested an ethernet connection yet, as I don't have an adapter on me (yet), but does anyone know what could be going on?

I have tried out my Surface Pro 3 on other networks (like my school and parent's house) and it gets normal speeds. What could be going on with my new installation to cause such low download speeds?

One thing that confuses me is all of these random things on the WiFi page: http://i.imgur.com/Z6yZKij.png

Could any of those be causing the issue? I don't understand why I need an ethernet adapter to get my wifi working, but if I disable any of them it stops functioning.

On top of that, here are my network speed test results: http://imgur.com/2vELk7l

Thanks so much for your help!

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
My guess is the known conflict between VirtualBox in Connected Standby enabled machines as well as it doesn't seem to like the Marvell WLAN adapter. All of that extra network stuff is VirtualBox...

Gerke

First time wifi problem yesterday. Never had any issues until now. Looks like SP3 and a Fritz!box 7360 is no match