What's new

Post Your SP3 WiFi/Internet Issues Here

madde90

I got a problem with auto-connect in university WiFi. Every time I'm there I have to type my password and username, also if I close my sp3 for ten or twenty minutes... Any ideas ? At home it works fine

Kris

Anyone have any clue why WiFi would work perfectly for an entire week then go back to disconnecting every other minute, unless plugged in? Same network, no software updates or changes. This is really turning into a love hate relationship...

Samstables

I have had this wifi problem with Win8.1 on two different machines (Surface Pro3 i7 and Saumsung Ativ 7) and it seems to have been resolved by reverting to an older driver for the WiFi - I tried a shedload of other "solutions" first but this seems to have resolved it for me at least :) You'd think Microsoft would have sorted it themselves by now...

I have a similar, if not the same issue - I was able to improve my connection by only using 2.4hgz on channel 11. Waking up the device from sleep always gives me issues when using both 2.4ghz and 5ghz on the Asus RT-N66U router. The only thing that helped me then was doing a full reboot of the SP3 itself.

Count me in this boat as well! After having the SP3 for a few months, it is evident that there is a serious problem with the Marvell Wifi adapter, or in the drivers. I honestly wish my SP3 did not go into the 'deep sleep' mode at all.

Is it really that hard to fix a this wifi issue, from a company that has unlimited money at their dispense? At this point, I'm pretty certain it must be a hardware flaw.

Last edited:

VickiFL

I fixed the wifi issue by going to my settings and telling it to NEVER sleep, ever, on battery or while it's plugged in. TBH, I've never liked the sleep option.

mrckc

Having some weird issues with WiFi all of a sudden.

It even happens with the same SSID, put it to sleep, wake up and it still shows as connected, but it is not. I need to disconnect and then reconnect to get any connectivity.
i have same problem too.
how to fix it???

stonerwinst

Here is another interesting data point. This morning when I woke up my SP3, I didn't get the "Limited" WIFI connectivity issue. I didn't have to reset the WIFI to make a proper connection to my router to get on the Internet. It just worked when the device woke up.

The only thing different is that I left my SP3 plugged into the power last night. When I woke up the device, I didn't get the black "Surface" screen before the metro UI. Normally, when I leave the SP3 unplugged overnight, the device will wake up with the black "Surface" boot-up screen the next morning.

When I run powercfg /a, I see that my unit supports Standby, Hibernate, and Fast Startup. Also, I noticed in the logs, the SP3 went into "connected standby" with power source AC.

Previously when I had the "Limited" connectivity issue, the device would go into "connected standby" with power source battery.

The "Limited" WIFI issue has something to do with the Marvell chip going to sleep and not waking up properly. That's why some people have success with configuring the Marvell chip to never go to sleep. I will try to disable the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option in the Marvel driver and leave the SP3 unplugged from the AC to see if it wakes up properly overnight.

dportal2006

I would like to inform everyone that the problem I was having with intermittent connection and slow Internet speeds were fixed when I switched to the 5.0 ghz band. I love my Surface now.

Kris

Talked to an MS rep today, I will be exchanging my SP3. Told her everything I've done and she said it had to be a hardware issue, doubt that but maybe the next one will be blessed. Trying to do an advance exchange, rep is calling back tomorrow was having issues with my debit card... Really don't want to be without it for a couple weeks...
She also said they dont do refurbs on the SP3, don't know how true that is.

HarnessTech

She also said they dont do refurbs on the SP3, don't know how true that is.

If you are referring to replacement SP3 units being refurbs, she lied to you. I'm on #3 with #4 on the way and the only one that was new was the first one.