What's new

post your surface internet speeds!

Lolvo

2942536333.png

The speed of HP Thin Client Desktop that I use in a university course. Man, I would kill for those speeds at home - and this unit is connected to 45 other devices in the room, that all remote into a W7 Enterprise server.

My Surface, running on WiFi in the same room, tested at the same time, hits 18d/l and 10u/l.

barlow00

I'm amazed you don't have much more than that now. I live in a little town in Lincolnshire and I thought Manchester would be a lot more than what I'm getting.

All that said 70+mb/s is very fast for practically everything we could ever want to use it for. :cool2:

I actually live about 5 miles out of the city in a little Cheshire suburb, so it's technically 'Greater Manchester'.

However, I recently moved from a city centre pad and could only achieve 4Mb down there. There was no fibre on offer because the block of apartments was connected directly to the exchange and not via a cabinet.

So circa 70Mb is just heaven for me.....I downloaded Call of Duty Black Ops off Steam in like 25 minutes.....it would take around 10 hours previously on my old connection!!!!!

Omni

I actually live about 5 miles out of the city in a little Cheshire suburb, so it's technically 'Greater Manchester'.

However, I recently moved from a city centre pad and could only achieve 4Mb down there. There was no fibre on offer because the block of apartments was connected directly to the exchange and not via a cabinet.

So circa 70Mb is just heaven for me.....I downloaded Call of Duty Black Ops off Steam in like 25 minutes.....it would take around 10 hours previously on my old connection!!!!!

Ah how annoying right in the city but only 4meg! I'm currently looking for a new house to buy and I can't help but keep thinking if the area has fibre! Its going to end up swaying my decision. Don't tell my other half that :big smile:

CrippsCorner

I'm kinda jealous of the numbers but in all honesty I just don't need anything above 8Mb/s. Don't game online or download much! Do stream TV catch up services on my PS3 occasionally though.

scadarick

Well that's an issue I have been trying to fix, right now I get around 24 to 32 Meg's down stream, around 5 Meg's up. Now I pay for 68 down and 5 up, but the nly way I can get those speeds are from a Cisco 300 high speed dongle. With it connected to my only USB slot, that's not cool. Now I have tested several other tablets, the rt and another sp 128. Got full speed from them from built in wifi from Marvell driver. I am still trying to see if I should return it for another tablet. I have searched all over the net and many others have wifi issues as well, mainly limited connections to no wifi showing up in list. That's something I do not have trouble with at all. I can see just about every wifi in my hood just fine and no limited connections either. So what's the problem? Hardware, doubt it, drivers, maybe....even tried the driver pack for 8.1 and still have the same issue. Another strange thing...I can hook up to my 5ghz band just fine and with only a couple of bars, it hits around 55 to 68 Meg's , something I have not been able to get any other of my devices to use the 5mhz band at all...now that's strange too. Well I am going to keep at it, today I am going to reprogram my asus 66u 3 in 1 router to use the 5 MHz instead of the 2.4 and see how that works. Got a bad ram slick on my home built monster computer , so now I have to buy new ram for it real soon, because I have a Mac and several ipads and a galaxy tab 2 tablet. Ms techs are very aware of the wifi issues and said they are being worked on as we speak...so it's down to this, return it or what for a fix...real tough decision. Any body else have this kind of wifi issues?

scadarick

Well got the surface pro 2 now and the speed has been a lot better this time. Took the sp1 back, refunded and had to pre order sp2 with 256 on board, plus a 64 gig micro. So that should work out fine. The only problem I got is that when you take your tablet out some where, it really does not function well, so I am thinking about buy a verizon hot spot wifi. You really need it, it's not like my ipad, it's got verizon on board, but to me, an iPad is great for fun, navigation pictures and great streaming apps, but the sp2 is to me a small laptop, it is a great for me, I spend to much time in my home office, now I can pay bills laying in bed, it's a work house and I really like where Microsoft is going with this tablet, hopefully better. I know that they will be getting the new haswell CPU , better than the one in it now. The next build will most definite have much better battery performance. I am waiting for the battery powered keyboard coming out soon. Already got the new surface version of the arc mouse, really like it, works on just about anything, even my bed. Well guys my speed is getting around 45 to 56 up stream, running on the 5 mhz band, for some reason on this asus rt-ac66u router using the 3 in 1 ea-66u in extender mode and set to 5 MHz in my bedroom works very good.
Well I am off the read other comments from other surface pro fans, have a great day guys!