What's new

Potential Fix for SP3 Overheating Issue

leeshor

I support a boat load of systems at customer sites and only a small handful do automatic updates. They have proven over time to be the most problematic. However, most of the problems were due to bad patches that were applied prior to Microsoft pulling them 2-3 days after they were posted. That only happens a few times a year and usually only affects a small % of the people applying the patches.

This may sound extreme to some but the last week and first week of the month are the safest times to update.

ipaq_101

The windows update fix is simple and it works, I think it's worth a shot before going through a tedious process such as a refresh and or a reset, if that indeed is the culprit.

I tried it and the errors disappeared on my SP3 after the latest firmware install
(something happened while I went away from my computer, the update screwed up).

When people were saying that the windows update module was using up the CPU in the background and heating up their machines, I suggested they try the windows updater fix tool and it seemed to fix the problem for them.

Worst case you loose 2 minutes of your time, better than a reset or a refresh.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I've run the update fixer several times and each time it keeps finding and repairing errors. Has anyone else had this happen! Should I just keep checking until no further errors are found?
As I said one TPCR, I would do a reset at this point...

I've run the update fixer several times and each time it keeps finding and repairing errors. Has anyone else had this happen! Should I just keep checking until no further errors are found?
I have the same experience, and this is after doing a factory reset. It keeps finding and "fixing" 3 errors every time I run it.

raqball

+3

I ran it and it fixed the 3 issues. After reading the replies here I just ran it again and it reported fixing the same 3.

Rebooted and ran it again. The tool still reported fixing the same 3 issues.

I assume it's just fixing the 3 issues over and over and is not keeping a record that they are actually fixed.

bluegrass

+3

I ran it and it fixed the 3 issues. After reading the replies here I just ran it again and it reported fixing the same 3.

Rebooted and ran it again. The tool still reported fixing the same 3 issues.

I assume it's just fixing the 3 issues over and over and is not keeping a record that they are actually fixed.

That's disappointing. I didn't even think about doing it over and over but if it's like you say, just repeating the same thing, then it doesn't sound like a very good diagnostic & repair tool.