What's new

Power adapter problem

Max91

Hello everyone,

I'm a new owner of a Surface Pro 2 128GB (it has arrived yesterday).

I'll try to explain my problem/doubt about the connector of the power adapter:
I noticed that one of the contacts (the second from the wire) is pulled into the connector and it seems to have some rubber or plastic not well manufactured that prevent it to correctly positioning as the other three.

The power adapter charge the Surface correctly but I think that contact can't touch the corresponding on the Surface.

Anyway I don'like to have something not well functioning considering how much I payed for this device.

So:
1) can you confirm that my connector is not normal?
2) If I call the assistance I have to send all the Surface and power adapter or just the power adapter? How much time the assistance procedure take?

Hoping to explain myself, I wait for your advice.

Thank you
Max91

jimkraz

Hi Max91, I have had a look at the pins on my connector, there might be a difference of 1mm or even half that length between some of the pins on the connector, they are sprung and can move a little, I would say that if all is working well and charging OK, I would not worry. Jim

tarrant64

Yeah I wouldn't worry about it too much, especially if it's still functioning. Visually it may just look a little different. Could you perhaps post a picture of it?

If it does bother you that much, you can always contact Surface support and have it exchanged, however know that you may be without a power cord for a bit depending on how well that goes. I personally always have 2 chargers for my devices, including the Pro.

OP
M

Max91

Thank you both for your interest!

Here there are some images, hoping you can see something (the pins are very small): is the second from the wire
IMG_0856.JPGIMG_0857.JPGIMG_0858.JPG

I think the connector's pin should be symmetric because the connector can be plugged in every directions.

So I think I'll call the assistance even if the Surface charge, because I think the pin can't contacts properly with its corresponding on the Surface.

Sorry for bad English :)

tarrant64

Yeah, that does look bad, good luck! Assuming return process works the same as the Surface Pro itself, when you contact them see if they will do advanced exchange for the power adapter. What they can do is ship out the replacement for you and you send back in your defective charger in the box it came in. Otherwise, what you can do is send in your charger and wait a few days for them to turn around a replacement - not ideal.

OP
M

Max91

Do you think they will send a new power adapter before I send mine? This will be the best solution for me, but I think they will not!

I call them right now, I'll let you know in a couple of minutes!

OP
M

Max91

No way, it seems they stop accepting call reservation 30 min before closing time! I'll try again tomorrow

PS: Here in Italy is 17:30 ;-)

tarrant64

Do you think they will send a new power adapter before I send mine? This will be the best solution for me, but I think they will not!

I call them right now, I'll let you know in a couple of minutes!

If you do what's called an advanced exchange, they can send one out before you send yours back. It's a 2-3 day process between when the order is placed and you receive the replacement. They put a hold on your credit card for the amount of the adapter and that hold is removed once they receive your old power adapter. It's what I did with my Surface Pro - prevents having to send it in, wait a few days for it to process, then wait another few days for them to ship it back. This is in the US though, I don't know about Italy but I'm unsure why the process would be different.

jamesk

You don't need to call. Just order a warranty exchange from their Surface Support website. They just send you a new one and you don't have to send yours back. I had a faulty charger and got my replaced. Just follow the directions online.