What's new

Solved Power / Brightness ?Issue?

jmdrizen

Hi,

Not sure if this is an issue, or just not compatible with the SP3....

Basically, there's two things I've noticed, the settings in PC Settings for auto adjust brightness is dimmed out and not active... Is this not possible on the SP3 or do I need to adjust a setting to enable it..?

Also... in the system tray when you click on the power status I get a percentage but don't get the guestimate as to how long the system thinks I have remaining in minutes/hours..? I've also noticed I'm not getting anywhere near eight hours... About 4ish before I need to connect it up again...? I know that power demands varies immensely depending on usage, but still would like to have the guestimate if I can....

Anyone help with these settings/issues..?

Cheers!

wynand32

I'm not sure why the auto-brightness option is grayed out. Haven't seen that issue, and yes, it should be a viable option.

Regarding the system tray icon and power estimates, I recommend the excellent Battery Bar utility. It gives fairly accurate estimate, along with battery wear. It's called "Pro," but there's a free version that works perfectly: http://batterybarpro.com/

OP
J

jmdrizen

Thanks for your reply, but I've probably not made myself clear... I'm not looking for a third party app for power remaining... Windows should do this... But currently it doesn't....

OP
J

jmdrizen

Found the issue with the brightness... "Enable adaptive brightness" was disabled in the advanced power options... Now I've enabled it, I have set the device to adjust automatically.... Just looking through the options to see if I can find the guesstimate thingy....

Zog1971

Hi there. From what I've read in a few other threads, there is nowhere on the SP3 right now to make the battery show the time remaining like the previous Surface Pro's have done. It was suggested that it may be coming in a future update, but if your looking around for it now, you can put your mind at ease that it isn't an option currently.

OP
J

jmdrizen

Zog, thanks for that... I thought it was a standard Windows feature... didn't know it was device specific, thought Windows looked at the drain on the battery and worked it out..... I'll stop looking then!

Cheers

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
Zog, thanks for that... I thought it was a standard Windows feature... didn't know it was device specific, thought Windows looked at the drain on the battery and worked it out..... I'll stop looking then!

Cheers
I'd guess they got complaints about their guess and decided not to guess anymore but that's just a guess.

OP
J

jmdrizen

lol, Cheers but I'd sooner wait and see if an update restores it... Not really one for third party software unless I really need it... If it was a setting I could enable I would, but otherwise will live with just a % at the mo :)

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
On Connected Standby enabled Machines you will get the % representation as the actual time will vary on usage patterns. This is by design and is common on all ARM, ATOM and Core SoC systems....

OP
J

jmdrizen

jnjroach, you're right, when I enabled Hyper-V which disables the Connected Standby, I get the guesstimates back....

I've disabled Hyper-V for now though...

For others that want to switch between the two:

To disable Hyper-V and restore Connected Standby functionality, use the following at the command line (cmd run in admin mode..):
bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype off

To re-enable Hyper-V when you need it (and thus disable Connected Standby again):
bcdedit /set hypervisorlaunchtype auto