What's new

Power Button No Longer Working

DLCPhoto

I've had my Surface 3 (4gb/128gb version) for almost 2 years. The power button has always been a bit 'tempermental' in that I had to touch it in the middle/right side of the button to get it to respond.

This morning I found that it wouldn't operate at all. Short press, long press, no response.

Fortunately, it was on when this behavior started, so I can still use it. But I would guess that if I turned it completely off, that I wouldn't be able to turn it on again.

I did a reboot, but nothing changed.

I called Microsoft, and they offered an exchange for $220 (90 day warranty).

Does anybody have any suggestions on how I could get this fixed? Anything that is user serviceable?

And if it did get turned off, and wouldn't restart with the power button, is there any work-around to get it booted again?

Thanks.

Don

OP
D

DLCPhoto

Well, I held the power button down for 20 or so seconds, and the screen turned off, and it apparently fully rebooted (it asked for my password, and I don't have this set to be required after it 'sleeps'). And now it's back to working normally, turning on/off as it should.

I don't know what caused this glitch, but hopefully that'll be the end of it.

Richard W.

I'm having similar issues.

Power button doesn't want to respond until the 3rd or 4th try. (When powering it on from a shutdown, not sleep mode.)

Downloaded the firmware update yesterday, but I still have the problem this morning.

OP
D

DLCPhoto

Sorry you're having trouble. I'm guessing it's a mechanical issue, rather than a firmware/software type of problem. As I said, mine is a bit 'picky' in that I have to press the button more on the right side to get a response. So you might try pressing different sides to see if there is better response.

If push comes to shove, and you need to replace it, the Microsoft Store here (where I bought it) said they have an exchange problem, so for $220 I could get another one, 90 day warranty.

Good luck.

Don