What's new

Power Cord to Power supply Issue

JimE

Got a new SP3 128GB for Christmas and quickly discovered that the Power Supply wall outlet chord will not lock into the power supply well enough to support a connection. Had to rig a stout rubber band around the chord and then around the power supply to keep the two connected well enough to charge the SP3's battery. Anyone else run into this sort of stupid problem?

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
That is a defect. Should be quite firm, not loose. Sorry to hear about that. Do you have a Microsoft Store nearby?

OP
J

JimE

That is a defect. Should be quite firm, not loose. Sorry to hear about that. Do you have a Microsoft Store nearby?

No question that something is not correct. I was thinking the chord in question was intended for use with a different version of the charger. Unfortunately the nearest physical Microsoft Store is some 90 miles away. The unit was purchased at a Best Buy the nearest of which is some 50 miles away. The curse of living out in the boonies strikes! Guess I'm stuck with a phone call to support to see how they want to handle the issue.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Here is something I discovered a few months ago:
The 2-prong cord which connects the transformer is a very common small appliance cord, available at hardware stores and Radio Shack. So, for now, if you can obtain a replacement from closer to your home, that would work. These replacement cords are usually longer, thus more convenient than the Surface Pro original cord, anyway. Take your brick along to the store.

The cord is a 2-prong figure-8 notebook type.
Here is one from WalMart, as an example. This one is 6 feet long.

k2-_4d1566f4-2440-4a97-88a7-dea0923bee0b_v1.jpg

malberttoo

+1 what sharpcolorado said. Mine has never had an issue staying in.

Get Microsoft to replace it, or Amazon sells the cord as well. (Assuming it's the cord that's defective and not the port on the power brick).

OP
J

JimE

Here is something I discovered a few months ago:
The 2-prong cord which connects the transformer is a very common small appliance cord, available at hardware stores and Radio Shack. So, for now, if you can obtain a replacement from closer to your home, that would work. These replacement cords are usually longer, thus more convenient than the Surface Pro original cord, anyway. Take your brick along to the store.

The cord is a 2-prong figure-8 notebook type.
Here is one from WalMart, as an example. This one is 6 feet long.

View attachment 4852

Thanks for the great idea. Sadly I checked several small appliances with two prong sockets and none of the chords fit the stinking brick. I suspect it's going to take the P/N from the brick to get the correct chord from even Microsoft. I'm pretty much convinced the chord is for a different brick. I really don't want to change the whole charging setup as I kinda like the indicator that changes from white to green once the battery is charged.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Suggestions:

- Wrap some electrical tape around the female end of the 2-prong cord. Add layers until it becomes firm.

- Use hot glue to fill the gap

OP
J

JimE

My thanks to everyone that responded to my problem. I decided to solve the problem with a better designed charger with the same power cord that one finds with HP's laptops. Cost less money ($22.00) than otherwise jacking around with an exchange at a Best Buy 50 miles away.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you chat with support they would likely just send you a new charger without you having to leave the house or return the defective one.