What's new

Power cover bug

Just got one to improve battery life, and it shows up in the battery icon, and charges to 100% but when I run off AC power, the main battery is consumed first and just dies after it goes to 0.

I guess I can play the reset, update driver, etc.. game again but the number of bugs on SP is getting old. They still haven't fixed all of the sleep bugs...

Anyone else seeing this behavior from the power cover?

kodos

Nope, haven't seen this behavior yet. Maybe I don't understand you, but are you saying that when plugged into AC power it is consuming your main battery?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Just got one to improve battery life, and it shows up in the battery icon, and charges to 100% but when I run off AC power, the main battery is consumed first and just dies after it goes to 0.

I guess I can play the reset, update driver, etc.. game again but the number of bugs on SP is getting old. They still haven't fixed all of the sleep bugs...

Anyone else seeing this behavior from the power cover?

sorry your description of the issue is a little confusing. If you are saying that the Power Cover keeps the main battery at 100% until its battery is depilated and then the main battery kick' in then it is working as designed.

OP
S

skellington

Sorry...

Both batteries show up as battery #1 and #2. I'm not sure which one is the power cover vs the internal, but when I unplugged the SP, one of the batteries drained to zero (I forget which one). At that point, the SP turned itself off. So, the SP drained the internal battery before using the power cover (and didn't switch to the power cover).

It's like the SP sees both batteries, but doesn't drain them in the correct order.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Battery One is the SP2 and Battery 2 is the cover. Have installed the latest firmware update?

OP
S

skellington

Installed latest firmware? Who knows...

I have everything up to latest according to the system updates app. It's entirely possible that the firmware isn't up to latest for some reason, but this is the kind of junk that makes me hate the SP. It's not my job to debug everything. MS makes the hardware and the software, can't they get updates to work correctly automatically?

mennogreg

Occasionally I've seen my SP1 with Power Cover not read the power cover's battery (though keyboard itself works) if I fold it back, particularly it goes to sleep while that has occurred. Doesn't happen all the time, but something I noticed. Maybe that's what you're witnessing?

As for firmware, the SP2 has a more recent power cover update that has yet to make its way to the SP1.

OP
S

skellington

Interesting.

Both batteries show up for me and both charged to 100% so the SP correctly charged the 2nd battery, but when running off the batteries it drained the SP battery first (and then died). At this point I've given up on the battery cover since I don't care to spend any more time trying to debug it (and as it turns out, it's heavy as hell and I don't care for that either).

Thanks for the suggestions.

sdreamer

Happened to me the other day. Quick restart fixed it for anyone that might run into this. Removing and reattaching the cover didn't work.

drolem

Try these in order if restart doesn't help: (do the 2nd one only if the 1st doesn't fix it)
1) remove power cover, turn off SP while no charger is attached, wait about 20 mins, turn on SP, attach power cover when it's fully on
2) remove power cover, remove charger, do a hard reset, turn on SP, attach power cover when it's fully on

toaf

try doing the update with it cover plugged in. i had the same issue once on a sp2 or maybe it was a firmware update while the power cover was plugged in

Last edited: