What's new

Power Cover Not Compatible with SP3

kiomon

I have the Power Cover that I was using with my SP1, and I tried using it with my new Surface Pro 3, and it doesn't register. Has anyone else tried it? I can get the trackpad to work, but none of the keys and not the battery. I have a SP3 Type Cover, but was looking forward to using the Power Cover when a little extra time away is needed. Anyone else seeing similar issues?

be77solo

My Power Cover works as a keyboard/trackpad just fine on the SP3, but not for the additional battery. It is just seen and behaves like a regular type cover. Any idea of Microsoft's plans regarding this?

OP
K

kiomon

Its weird because just now when I mounted it, it did indeed work as a keyboard just fine, but no power. I really hope they enable compatibility. For long flights its nice to have the battery option.

mtalinm

Has anyone gotten the Power Cover to charge an SP3? Panos said the Power Cover "works" with SP3, but I am starting to wonder whether by that he meant that it could only be used for typing. He is prone to exaggeration...

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
It does work with the SP3, I believe it was enabled in the July 8 Firmware Update...I'm using it...

cschmach

I have the Power Cover as well and it works fine for me. I carry it in my bag as a spare power source. I had to use it the other day when my SP3 was supposed to be in sleep mode, but my Type Cover 3 apparently didn't give it that message. The SP3 battery was completely depleted after 3 hours in my bag, but I connected the Power Cover and it powered it right up.