What's new

Power Cover setup

Still seeing lots of people complain about battery life - finally have a good power-cover setup going that offers excellent, lightweight protection.

I've got the MS tempered glass screen protector on the SP3, and then the Moko http://www.amazon.ca/MoKo-Microsoft-Surface-Inch-Case/dp/B00CK8QRUC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Some folio's attach onto the screen itself and push the tempered glass screen protectors around, while in this one, the SP3 slots in perfectly for dual protection. Also when it's folded out, you can't even tell that the power cover isn't quite sized perfectly for the SP3.

Best of all, it's on sale at the above link on Amazon for $17 instead of $50.

Some picks

Attachments

• IMG_20141106_203746.jpg
    IMG_20141106_203746.jpg
    681 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_20141106_203845.jpg
    IMG_20141106_203845.jpg
    600 KB · Views: 607
B

B'midbar

Still seeing lots of people complain about battery life - finally have a good power-cover setup going that offers excellent, lightweight protection.

I've got the MS tempered glass screen protector on the SP3, and then the Moko http://www.amazon.ca/MoKo-Microsoft-Surface-Inch-Case/dp/B00CK8QRUC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Some folio's attach onto the screen itself and push the tempered glass screen protectors around, while in this one, the SP3 slots in perfectly for dual protection. Also when it's folded out, you can't even tell that the power cover isn't quite sized perfectly for the SP3.

Best of all, it's on sale at the above link on Amazon for $17 instead of $50.

Some picks

I'm lost. This just looks like a case, what does it have to do with power and longer battery life?

OP
M

markusbeutel

Should have explained better... Not many accessories play nice with the old Power Cover for the SP2 and Surface 2, (although it works perfectly with the SP3). The above case, for example, partially covers up where the magnet of the new Type Cover attaches, and in this light, it actually serves better as a Power Cover case. Also, most folio cases aren't applicable if you have the MS tempered glass screen protector installed, as they usually clip onto the glass edges and dislodge the protector.

The above set works together fluidly, and the tray portion of the folio hides the fact that the Power Cover isn't sized perfectly for the SP3.

Aegeas

So you get to use the Power Cover with an SP3 and it covers up the fact that it doesn't quite match. Plus you add %50 more battery life. That is a win win to me.

OP
M

markusbeutel

So you get to use the Power Cover with an SP3 and it covers up the fact that it doesn't quite match. Plus you add %50 more battery life. That is a win win to me.

My thoughts yeah. :). Only thing holding my back from a Power Cover before was that when you closed the SP3 with the Power Cover it didn't cover the entire screen - but a folio solves that, (either by closing the folio with the PC attached, or by taking the PC off and slotting it in a carrying case). Really don't see how aesthetics should hold you back from like 50-70% additional battery life if there's options like this available.

Negatives on the Power Cover, though, could be that it's a decent amount heavier and thicker than the Type Cover, but I find I actually prefer it as there is more travel/depth on the keys - they're more clicky, and the keyboard doesn't bounce around nearly as much, if at all.

toaf

so the power cover does charge the sp3? im shocked they haven't put out a power cover for the 3. its a cool as the docking station on a 2. watching all those poor bastards plugging their toys amuses me

OP
M

markusbeutel

so the power cover does charge the sp3? im shocked they haven't put out a power cover for the 3. its a cool as the docking station on a 2. watching all those poor bastards plugging their toys amuses me

Yep it charges - also disappointed no SP3 power cover, but my thinking is they probably had a ton of SP2 power covers unsold, and wanted to sell them through (as they only came out a few months before the SP3, late in the SP2's lifecycle). Wouldn't be surprised if MS thought the SP2 form factor was going to stick, and then they changed to the larger SP3, and were left with a ton of useless accessories.

I've asked/emailed MS, and the excuse I always get is that the SP3 is already more battery efficient than previous devices and that an additional power cover would be redundant, smh...

Totally worth it in the end. Don't even notice it's the wrong size with a nice folio, and you can't beat 50-70% extra battery life.

toaf

wouldn't they just need like a very large fuzzy sticker just to make the base big enough? i mean i know its not as engineered as the pen holder.. . . ... . . ... . . . ...