What's new

Power Cover

TeknoBlast

So I purchased the Power Cover yesterday. I did all the updates and let the Surface and cover charge all night last night.

Now I have it here at work and it's working fine.

Just wondering which battery drains first? I see in the indicator, Battery 1 and Battery 2. I assume Battery 1 is the Surface's battery.

So do the batteries together works as one big battery or does one drain first and then the next?

I did some searches here, but really didn't find the answer or maybe I wasn't using the right keywords to get the answer I'm looking for.

Thanks all.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
The Power Cover will keep the Surface Device Charged to 100% until it is completely depleted (I get 3-3.5 hours) then the Surface's main battery will kick in. On recharge, the Surface main battery will recharge to 80% then the Power Cover will start charging until it reaches 90% then the Surface Main will charge to 100% and then the Power Cover will charge it last 10%. Charging will only happen if the Surface is in Sleep or Powered On.

gabe406

Thanks, the above part is good to know. I assumed that both would charge even when the Surface is off. Good thing I left it on last night.

I can't believe that the power cover was designed to be charged while on or in sleep mode. That is just wrong. Really, now I have to keep my SP2 on until the power cover is charged or put it in sleep mode? So basically the power cover has to have a powered connection through the SP2 to charge.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
I can't believe that the power cover was designed to be charged while on or in sleep mode. That is just wrong. Really, now I have to keep my SP2 on until the power cover is charged or put it in sleep mode? So basically the power cover has to have a powered connection through the SP2 to charge.

Correct, it done through the additional spines on the Cover, it regulated by the Surface Device (I'm assuming).

gabe406

Correct, it done through the additional spines on the Cover, it regulated by the Surface Device (I'm assuming).

Its really interesting. You are 100% correct! I plugged in the SP2 with the Power Cover and I watched the battery levels. The SP2 charged to a little over 80% then the cover started charging close to 90% then the SP2 returned to charging to 100% then the cover charged to 100%. Its funny how that works. Thanks again for your help.

jollywombat

Does anyone know what the mah of the battery is for the power cover? Have some extended travel coming up and was trying to decide between getting a power cover or a external power pack. Was surprised to see it was not listed on the Microsoft specs site.

Thanks,

rushdown

On surface pro 2, how much usage time are you guys getting with fully charged surface pro 2 and power cover?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
On surface pro 2, how much usage time are you guys getting with fully charged surface pro 2 and power cover?

On a normal day or work using Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Outlook, Lync), IE, Meetings, Presenting, etc.. I get 10-11 hours....

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone know what the mah of the battery is for the power cover? Have some extended travel coming up and was trying to decide between getting a power cover or a external power pack. Was surprised to see it was not listed on the Microsoft specs site.

Thanks,

Powercfg.exe /batteryreport reports 27,565 mWh for the Power Cover and 42,050 mWh for the Internal Battery (This is on the Surface Pro 2).