What's new

Power on the Surface book 2 um Tablet mode.

Ricardo Santos

Hello, i am going to buy a sb2, and i have a question about it.
It is possible power on Surface book 2 without attached to the keybord?

The processor and fans are in keyboard or in screen ?

Thanks in advance.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The entire computer is in the screen (“clipboard”). The keyboard (“base”) provides most of the battery capacity.

So, yes, you can power on and use the Surface Book 2 independent of the keyboard, and even connect it to mains power without the keyboard.

OP
R

Ricardo Santos

One more question.
The nvidea geforce graphics card is on the base (keyboard), or in the screen (clipboard)?
Thanks for help.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
The high performance card (1050 for 13 inch, 1060 for 15 inch) is in the keyboard base.

You may be interested in this brilliant feature: If you wish the keyboard to be out of the way, you may be interested to know that the keyboard can be turned around backwards, and the unit can be operated open or closed, including closed with screen facing out instead of towards the keyboard. Very handy for full power-user/gamer use with wireless or gaming keyboards and controllers, while getting full graphics and charging.

OP
R

Ricardo Santos

Hello again,

I have another question because I read in a review that the system's GeForce GTX 1060 is only enabled when on mains power, so don't expect anywhere near the same performance playing on battery.

So, this means that also working in photoshop for example on battery, means that GEForceGTX will be disabled??

I have purchased this laptop on black friday in Portugal but I am still waiting for his arrival... I am afraid that could be also out of stock.

Thanks

Wayne Orwig

Hello again,
I have another question because I read in a review that the system's GeForce GTX 1060 is only enabled when on mains power, so don't expect anywhere near the same performance playing on battery.
So, this means that also working in photoshop for example on battery, means that GEForceGTX will be disabled??

I don't think that is correct. As far as I can tell the graphics engine is powered by the battery system.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I use the GeForce GTX 1060 on my (two) Surface Book 15 inch computers without mains power. The information you read is not correct.

As a test, I just now verified that Corel PaintShop Pro X9 64-bit is set to run using the High Performance NVIDIA graphics. I launched it on battery power. Runs perfectly. Then, if I try to eject the screen (Clipboard), I got a message that Corel PaintShop Pro X9 must be closed first. This is fully expected. Then, I closed PaintShop, ejected the Clipboard, connected it reversed, and started PaintShop again.

You will love it.

OP
R

Ricardo Santos

Thank you very much for help.

I am crazy because i need to wait maybe one more week for his arrival...

This is the laptop of my dreams.