What's new

Power options Max CPU settings missing?

Ruffles

I went into my power options to tweak some settings. There used to be a setting for the max & min CPU usage but it's not there anymore. I've got a SP2 with Win 8.1. Has this been removed or is something up with my machine?

jollywombat

Its still there for me under processor power management.
CPUmanage.JPG

OP
Ruffles

Ruffles

Weird. Mines missing. Any ideas for getting it back? I used to use Battery Bar Pro to select the High Performance profile when plugged in and the Power saver when on battery. Because Battery Bar itself uses a lot of power polling the battery etc., I uninstalled it and wanted to create a single profile with all the On battery settings matching the Power Saver profile and the Plugged in settings matching the High Performance profile. While doing this, I noticed my processor states were missing.

Also, I noticed something else. If I create a new profile based on the power saver and set the plugged in setting to high performance, clicking on the battery icon in the system tray pops up a little dialog with the remaining battery etc. but it has a warning that my settings will impact performance - even when it is plugged in. If I do the opposite and start with a high performance profile but set the on battery options, I get a warning when I'm on battery that my setting will impact battery life. It's as if there are other options not available that are being set by virtue of the type of profile you use as your template.

Attachments

• PowerOptions.PNG
    PowerOptions.PNG
    26.3 KB · Views: 1,283

jollywombat

What happens if you remove your custom power profile and use one of the defaults, do the normal options come back then?

OP
Ruffles

Ruffles

Nope. I deleted my custom plan and it still doesn't appear. The options are still there under the hood however and the states are set to 100% as shown by doing this...

- Open an Administrative command prompt (Right click start area, Command Prompt (Admin))
- Type PowerCfg /l - This will give a command line list of all your power schemas.
- The active schema will have a * at the end of it's entry: Make a note of the long number that schema has
- Type PowerCfg -query [Long Number you made a note of]

OP
Ruffles

Ruffles

Looks like Hyper-V (that gets installed as part of Visual Studio) removes those options :(. I wonder why?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hyper-V needs specific instructions and abilities from the Chipset and CPU and disables any bits that conflict with the Viridian Hypervisor.

DragonGamer

Huh, but I installed Visual Studio 2010 Express and use it while still having those options.
Or does this only affect with the non-express version or the 2013 Version?

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Huh, but I installed Visual Studio 2010 Express and use it while still having those options.
Or does this only affect with the non-express version or the 2013 Version?

I don't VS 2010 or the Express version of 2013 installs the Hyper-V role...

IridiumCore

Hello,

Any word on this. I too have the same thing going on. I just updated my SP3 to windows 10. My SP2 has the options and Microsoft says it's because they have different hardware.