What's new

Power Saver mode = 100% disk usage (freeze and laggy)

Nil Edwin

First, I'm desperate .
Second, anyone who can solve the problem , win a CD- Key of the game Assassins creed : black flag - STEAM for PC . ( original )

I am having this annoying problem with my 128gb Surface Pro 2 .
When I am using it with the battery in the " Balanced " mode , everything runs completely normal .
The problem occurs 100 % of the time when I put in "power saver " mode ..... everything is completely locked , and "Disk 0 ( C :) " in Task Menager rises from 0% to 100 % in 1 second .
I could observe several people reporting the same problem in different places , but found no solution to the problem .
In fact, when I got the tablet , he had the same problem , but after doing all the updates (including Firmware ) , the problem just disappeared .
And now , after making a factory reset and install all updates before anything , the problem appeared again .
I do not know what to do ..... I really like this tablet , helps me a lot in college , but this problem will really mess me , since I really need to use it in power saver .

And again , anyone who can help me win a CD key .

thank you very much

GoodBytes

You are not supposed to have this problem at all, firmware or not.
When you say that you have this problem, did you install any programs what so ever? Did you apply any Windows tweaks?

OP
N

Nil Edwin

I was using it today in power saver mode without any problem. After factory reset it just came back to give problem (as it was in the beginning when I took the box).

I do not remember doing anything on it, just installed the firmware and updates. I'm pretty sure you have not tweaked anything very complex, since only use OneNote ....

Ps: thank you for the fast answer ^^

GoodBytes

When you installed the firmware, were you plugged in, and fully charged at 100%, Because I know that it won't actually install the firmware if your battery is not 100%, and not fully charged.
So you just end up installing the new drivers, and Windows thinks it was installed successfully.

jollywombat

When you first get it and set it up, it will perform a large amount of maintenance tasks like indexing the drive and so forth. Depending on the applications you install and usage of the computer, this can take a couple days to settle down and complete. Same will apply after a reset of the OS since it has to do this all over again. If it has only been a short while since the refresh/reset of the OS, give it a couple days and see if it improves.

OP
N

Nil Edwin

Im not sure if it was at 100%, but was pretty charged.
since you said now .... I found it strange that the update has something around 28 mb, but have it installed too fast.
Have any way to install what I need manually?
Ps: everything seems normal in my "view update history".

OP
N

Nil Edwin

When you first get it and set it up, it will perform a large amount of maintenance tasks like indexing the drive and so forth. Depending on the applications you install and usage of the computer, this can take a couple days to settle down and complete. Same will apply after a reset of the OS since it has to do this all over again. If it has only been a short while since the refresh/reset of the OS, give it a couple days and see if it improves.

so you're telling me he's "resting" and probably back to normal without me doing anything?

GoodBytes

It's best to leave your Surface Pro 2 over night turned on (so set Windows to not to go to sleep after a while) after you check for all updates, is what he suggests.
Well all night is a bit excessive, but you know what I mean, leave the system do it's maintenance task. You'll see a clock on the Action Center icons next to the clock when it does maintenance.

more specifically this icon:
action.png

Last edited:
OP
N

Nil Edwin

Do you guys think this would be the case of a faulty hard drive or return the product to Microsoft?
I really like to believe that this is not the solution, since the problem occurred and disappeared mysteriously the first time ......

GoodBytes

Do you guys think this would be the case of a faulty hard drive or return the product to Microsoft?
I really like to believe that this is not the solution, since the problem occurred and disappeared mysteriously the first time ......

If you are convinced so, you can contact Microsoft support. If it is in the return period, I would return it, and order a new one as soon as it gets back in stock, and not do a warranty replacement.
But it depends on if you have a replacement system or plan B for your note taking while you wait for it to be in stock. If you purchased the extended warranty, be sure to mention it so that you get your money back for that as well.