What's new

Solved Power supply and use with powered USB hub

graham1949

Hi All

I am considering buying a SP3 and have the following questions if you could help, please

1. I am in the UK and a company is importing them from the US, cheaper than MS prices.
What is stated on the PSU regards voltage and frequency at the input and the output critera, as power here is 240/230 V @ 50 Htz. A photo of the ratings plate would be appreciated

2. The power to the SP3 is applied via the USB port? So how will using a powered USB Hub, effect it, from the point of view that it will be pulling power from the powered usb hub and so will be on continual charge?

Many thanks
Graham

glx

Is it the same like the SP/SP2? Normaly laptop/mobile power-adapters have an 100-240V inputrange.
What do you with your second question mean? The USB-port at the power-supply is to charge something like your smartphone, not the SP3. It has an extra power-connector. I think you can't put power into the USB, just get some from it..

OP
G

graham1949

Is it the same like the SP/SP2? Normaly laptop/mobile power-adapters have an 100-240V inputrange.
What do you with your second question mean? The USB-port at the power-supply is to charge something like your smartphone, not the SP3. It has an extra power-connector. I think you can't put power into the USB, just get some from it..

Hi Thanks for your promp response andclearing up the usb question, OK so the USB on the SP3 is traditional port. Can you help with the frequency question? do you have an sp3?
Thanks

ctitanic

WP_20140817_001.jpg
Hi All

I am considering buying a SP3 and have the following questions if you could help, please

1. I am in the UK and a company is importing them from the US, cheaper than MS prices.
What is stated on the PSU regards voltage and frequency at the input and the output critera, as power here is 240/230 V @ 50 Htz. A photo of the ratings plate would be appreciated

2. The power to the SP3 is applied via the USB port? So how will using a powered USB Hub, effect it, from the point of view that it will be pulling power from the powered usb hub and so will be on continual charge?

Many thanks
Graham

glx

I have a SP(1) and an additional small (for the non-pro surface) power-adapter, both have 100-240V and 50/60Hz. I think nearly every charging-device I have has this specs :)..

Edit: Ah, there was someone faster ;)..

Bandito

One other thing to remember when importing a U.S. version of the SP3 is that the useable WiFi frequencies (or channels) will be different and you will probably not be able to connect to some access points. This could be a real problem for you and is one of the main reasons that companies such as Microsoft have to make different versions of hardware for different countries.