What's new

power supply problem

TalkToTheHand

Does anyone else experience the same weird power supply behaviour? If I connect a power bank to the usb port of the unit, the cable starts blinking. After deconnecting it, it goes back to normal ... and then, 5 minutes later, nothing. No more power, neither for the surface, nor for the usb port of the supply unit. It took about 2 days until it started to work again. And now .. it stops functioning every 5 minutes. Then I have to wait, or connect it to another plug socket. Sometimes, this doesn't work either.

Telstar1948

It sounds like your SP3 power supply is defective. Call MS and describe what it's doing. They will very likely ship you a new power adapter.

surfdock

The SP3 power supply blinking is telling you there is a fault. Try using a different USB cable to charge your external LI-Ion battery pack to see if the symptoms remain. Otherwise I concur with Telstar that you ought to seek a replacement power supply.

You could always bring your battery pack to the store and ask the staff if you can plug it in to one of their power supplies if you have any doubts about its functioning.

OP
T

TalkToTheHand

GreyFox7 said:
Oh really, sounds like it damaged your Surface to me. I don't believe you can charge the surface through the USB port either.

The Surface is okay. I charged the power bank through the usb port of the power supply unit.. pretty much the opposite. ;-)

malberttoo

Does anyone else experience the same weird power supply behaviour? If I connect a power bank to the usb port of the unit, the cable starts blinking. After deconnecting it, it goes back to normal ... and then, 5 minutes later, nothing. No more power, neither for the surface, nor for the usb port of the supply unit. It took about 2 days until it started to work again. And now .. it stops functioning every 5 minutes. Then I have to wait, or connect it to another plug socket. Sometimes, this doesn't work either.

Start with the obvious first thing- call Surface Support, get your power adapter replaced, and see what happens.