What's new

Powering on a Surface Pro 2 remotely or when charged

jsulliva83

Hi everyone,

I need my Surface Pro 2 Tablets to self-boot when they are receiving charge or are fully charged. Alternatively, if there is any other way whatsoever to cause the tablets to boot in a powered off state without pressing the side "power on" button, I'd be very interested in knowing about it. Is there any way of doing something like this from within the software, firmware or UEFI?

Thanks,

John

malberttoo

Hi everyone,

I need my Surface Pro 2 Tablets to self-boot when they are receiving charge or are fully charged. Alternatively, if there is any other way whatsoever to cause the tablets to boot in a powered off state without pressing the side "power on" button, I'd be very interested in knowing about it. Is there any way of doing something like this from within the software, firmware or UEFI?

Thanks,

John

Hi John, welcome to the forum!

I don't know about "self-booting"... I know there's a BIOS option in many PC's, to automatically boot up when AC power is applied to it. But that is not what you're asking for, and the Surface BIOS does not support that.

Someone else may chime in here with a different idea, but I think the best that you can do would be to use a remote access app like Team Viewer or LogMeIn, that supports Wake On Lan. You'd log into a web GUI where you'd see a list of PC's that have the app installed. You'd pick the Surface, and then select "Turn On". The only caveats to this are that A) the Surface has to plugged into the network with an Ethernet cable (the "magic wake-up" packets don't work over wireless) and B) another computer has to be running, and on the same network and running the remote access app.

That's the only thing I can think of. Maybe someone else has a better idea.