What's new

Powerpoint Solutions

souldier

Hi everyone I wanted to know if you guys had any advice for me.

Often I do powerpoint presentations. I want to take my surface pro with me where I am standing and view my presentation through presenter view, but my surface also needs to be connected to the projector/monitor at the same time. The problem is I am hardly ever standing close to the projector.

Is there any way I can use my surface while being far away from the projector? Buying a long cord is probably not an option

J515OP

Super Moderator
Get a Surface RT then RDP into the Pro connected to the projector. Problem solved and you have two cool Surfaces :)

J515OP

Super Moderator
A cheaper solution would be something like a media extender like a Roku or a WD TV Play Digital Media Receivers - CNET Reviews. You probably can even use something like a Raspberry Pi or other PC on a stick you can send media to. This is assuming you want the Surface Pro in your hands. The much easier way is to connect the Pro to the projector and then there are any number of ways to run the presentation remotely with a clicker or smart phone in your hand instead of the Pro.

OP
souldier

souldier

Never heard of Raspberry pi, roku, and wd tv. How does it work exactly?

I have done the whole clicker solution, but I would like the actual pro in my hands so I can use the presenter view for notes, seeing the next slide, and doing things like inking and such.

J515OP

Super Moderator
They are just media extenders and in this case would work like smart glass for xbox. For that matter you could hook up an xbox to the projector too but that might be a little silly unless you want to get your game on after the presentation ;) They are a wireless receiver that can take video input from the PC and display it on an attached screen or projector. Bonus if you want to take it home when you aren't presenting and stream Netflix to a tv from the Surface or any other PC.

Raspberry Pi is actually a mini stick computer.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Supposedly, Marvell is going to be releasing an updated driver that supports Miracast but until then a Wireless USB Dock or one of the extenders is your best bet....

OP
souldier

souldier

Thanks guys. I will look into it. What would be a good media extender that you guys would recommend to use with the pro? Is one better than the other?

OP
souldier

souldier

I looked up Roku and WD TV and I'm quite confused. Can you actually connect a PC to it via wifi so that it is as if I have connected the pc to the screen/projector? It seems as if device like Roku connects directly to the internet to access different entertainment services such as Netflix

kricke

Maybe this is an alternative, if I understand what you want to to:

I assume you have a smartphone as well.
Then, you could use it to control the PPT presention on your Pro with iclickr. This is supposed to work with Android, Windows Phone and iOS Devices.
The result: you connect your Pro to the projector with the standard cord and move around the arena with your phone and control the presentation.

As far as I know there are other, similar pieces of software around for desktop/notebooks which allow PowerPoint remote operations from a smartphone.

Does this make sense to you?

That is how I do presentations - but with Apple hardware. Unfortunately, my surface RT does not allow to install the iclickr PC software.

Knut

OP
souldier

souldier

Yes I was thinking of that, which could work. The only thing is I can't do digital inking on my slides using the surface pro digitizer and the presenter view won't be as comprehensive on the phone as it would be on the tablet itself. It would almost be like just using a normal clicker remote which I already have