What's new

Preventing onscreen keyboard in desktop mode?

stevescotthome

Does anyone know if its possible in desktop mode to prevent the onscreen keyboard from popping up...like when I have the typecover plugged in? I'm trying to do development on it, so I'll like have some browsers open, click somewhere on the screen, then they keyboard shoots up and resizes the windows on me and I can't see anything due to the aspect ratio of the surface...it's so frustrating to use.

So like typing on the typecover to hide it "works" to get rid of it, but I dont want it there in the first place....however if I remove the typecover I CLEARLY need it to popup.

I don't understand, can't you just plug in the type cover? You don't need to type on it to hide the onscreen keyboard, just by having it plugged in the onscreen keyboard should never pop up.

OP
S

stevescotthome

No, the type cover IS plugged in...so when I'm in desktop mode on the pro 2, and I click an input box the onscreen keyboard shows up EVEN THOUGH I have the type cover attached.

OP
S

stevescotthome

Crap :/ Guess I have to go talk to support then to figure it out...I mostly notice it in chrome, but by and large everywhere in desktop mode causes it to popup

jefhart

You're not crazy, Steve. I was listening to music last night and every time I'd do a search the onscreen keyboard would pop up. I'd say it's a randomly occurring bug but keep us updated if you find an answer. In the mean time, did you try disconnecting/connecting and restarting? I went to bed before I figured it out.

kundas1

wow I've never had that happen to me, I would luv that option as I hardly use the keyboard... prefer the on screen KB when I'm putzing around on the forums and stuff...

guymalloc

I have the onscreen keyboard 'button' on in the notification area of the taskbar, and I've never had the onscreen popup if the typecover is attached on my SP1. Even in tablet use, I have to touch the 'button' with the pen to get the onscreen keyboard to popup......