What's new

Price difference of the Surface Book in Europe compared to the US

GunterMeyer16

Hii.

I've been intrested in buying a Surface Book in Germany where I go to collage. I saw the prices in the US are arround 1500 Dollars and upwards, which already is rather pricy. Here in Germany they are now awailable for pre-order, but the entry level price is 1650 Euros. That is approximatley 1800 Dollars. So 300 Dollars more just because I buy the same product in Germany. Where does that price difference come from? Especially since one Euro is currently worth 1.08 Dollars. A Surface Book should cost around 1350 Euros then.

Thank you.

jnjroach

Administrator
Staff member
Hii.

I've been intrested in buying a Surface Book in Germany where I go to collage. I saw the prices in the US are arround 1500 Dollars and upwards, which already is rather pricy. Here in Germany they are now awailable for pre-order, but the entry level price is 1650 Euros. That is approximatley 1800 Dollars. So 300 Dollars more just because I buy the same product in Germany. Where does that price difference come from? Especially since one Euro is currently worth 1.08 Dollars. A Surface Book should cost around 1350 Euros then.

Thank you.
Typically it is the import and/or VAT the EU charges and more importantly labor cost and market conditions that set the price differences.

GreyFox7

Super Moderator
Staff member
I seem to recall a discussion where buying it outside Europe is initially cheaper but then you have to pay the VAT/import taxes when you come back... or later if they catch you avoiding it.

Orlbuckeye

Basically the SB is the same price anywhere is the USA. So that means that US price X exchange rate is basic price and anything above and beyond is probably some kind of tax (federalor local) .