What's new

Printer Driver Support

I have a HomeGroup on my home WiFi network with a Lexmark X7675 wireless printer that is included in the HomeGroup, so I can print witlessly from my laptop which has Windows 7. Now I am trying to do the same from my Surface 2 which also joined the HomeGroup but cannot print. Tried to use the printer setting on my Surface 2 but cannot find my printer (Lexmark Series 7600) driver. Any idea where to find the printer driver or how to print from Surface 2?

beman39

There's no way to connect over the homegroup, just over WiFi...I have tried many times with no go...

Rallicat

If the printer is wireless, you'll want to try and print direct.

Your Surface should install the printer automatically if you've turned on the option to connect to shared devices when you first joined your WiFi. You can also install the printer manually by going to PC Settings > PC & Devices > Devices and clicking or tapping the 'Add a device' button.

Your device must be generally compatible with Windows RT. Windows RT uses 'class drivers' to support devices like printers, and not all printers are supported. Support should -hopefully- have expanded with the release of 8.1 but it still depends on your printer.

OP
G

geisslingen

If the printer is wireless, you'll want to try and print direct.

Your Surface should install the printer automatically if you've turned on the option to connect to shared devices when you first joined your WiFi. You can also install the printer manually by going to PC Settings > PC & Devices > Devices and clicking or tapping the 'Add a device' button.

Your device must be generally compatible with Windows RT. Windows RT uses 'class drivers' to support devices like printers, and not all printers are supported. Support should -hopefully- have expanded with the release of 8.1 but it still depends on your printer.

My printer (Lexamrk X7675) is about 4 years old and not listed in the printers of Windows 8 RT. I also tried to add the printer over the HomeGroup network connection but I receive an error message that this printer is not supported. I guess I will need to buy a new wireless printer if I need to print from my Surafce 2.

Thanks for your replies.

kristalsoldier

Where can I find a list of printers that work with Win 8.1RT? I ask because I need to buy a new printer and would want that to work - preferably wirelessly - with not only the Surface RT and the Surface 2, but also with my Android tablets and the iPad and my desktop. Thanks in advance.

beman39

I would recommend getting and Epson printer as I have one, and it works perfectly over wifi...

beman39

It's the Epson nx330 and yes it has WiFi like I mentioned in my previous post which I said WiFi works great... not expensive at all, picked it up at staples for $39.99!! Epson has the best/longest cartridge usage of all the printers...

OP
G

geisslingen

It's the Epson nx330 and yes it has WiFi like I mentioned in my previous post which I said WiFi works great... not expensive at all, picked it up at staples for $39.99!! Epson has the best/longest cartridge usage of all the printers...

Thanks beman. This is really unbelievable price.