What's new

Printing Double-sided PDFs

nasch14

I am having this re-currying problem every time I try to print a PDF from either Adobe Reader Touch or the included Reader program. When I set the printing options to double-sided (either flipping on short or long edge) I get a yellow error message above the selection box that says "There's a problem with this setting. Continue with the existing settings or try again." My printer is a Brother MFC-9840CDW which prints double-sided fine from Word/Publisher etc. etc.

I can't seem to figure out why this is happening. Anyone else in the same boat? Any ideas?

leeshor

I'm going with an off the wall suggestion here as I don't use Adobe on any of my systems, but I have found differences in the way things are able to print based on using the print icon or going to File -> Print and selecting the options there. A shot in the dark.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
I just successfully printed a 2-sided .pdf (10 MB file) using Adobe Reader X, version 10.1.3. I did not use any Adobe print options, but instead, used options on my printer (the "Properties" button just to the right of the "Printer" selection drop-down. Worked fine on my HP 760 and HP Envy printers.

Grumpy2

I just successfully printed a 2-sided .pdf (10 MB file) using Adobe Reader X, version 10.1.3. I did not use any Adobe print options, but instead, used options on my printer (the "Properties" button just to the right of the "Printer" selection drop-down. Worked fine on my HP 760 and HP Envy printers.
I use the printer preferences on my Epson Artisan 725 and select to print double sided (flipping on short or long edge) but it does not work. Only prints on one side. I do not have this problem with my Windows 7 computer or laptop. I also have not been able to figure how to get it to work.

nipponham

To print from a Metro UI app, you have to go through Device on the charms menu. Choose your printer and on the very bottom you will see an option to open up "other settings". Press that and you will see all the options your printer offers. Choose to print double-sided from there.

Grumpy2

To print from a Metro UI app, you have to go through Device on the charms menu. Choose your printer and on the very bottom you will see an option to open up "other settings". Press that and you will see all the options your printer offers. Choose to print double-sided from there.
yes I have done that but can not get the printer to print both sides when printing from the surface. Works on my other computers but not on the surface. Must admit I do not like windows 8 at all. The sooner Microsoft ditch it the better.

nipponham

Then it sounds like it might be a problem with the Win8 driver released by your printer manufacturer. It is not a Windows/Surface issue as I and other posters have no problem with double-sided printing from MUI.

Grumpy2

Then it sounds like it might be a problem with the Win8 driver released by your printer manufacturer. It is not a Windows/Surface issue as I and other posters have no problem with double-sided printing from MUI.
The printer was installed automatically by the Surface Pro3 when I set it up. I have deleted the printer and got the Surface to re-detect it and re- install it but the problem is still there. Have thought of installing the printer in desktop mode but surely that defeats the purpose. So now if I want to print I do it from my Win7 desktop or laptop. This is extra work but at least it works. As it is I do not print much from the surface anyway due to this glitch. As you say it is probably a problem with the driver.

leeshor

Windows, not just 8.1, doesn't typically install the full feature version that's available from the manufacturer. Just a thought. There are usually 2 versions available on the manufacturer's site, drivers and full feature.