What's new

Pro 2 charger hazard

nwsailboat

I have had 2-48watt charger cables spark and smoke. Both times I was sitting close by, otherwise this could be a potential major hazard if unattended. The area that has failed both times is where the wire goes into the magnetic plug.
The last time was this weekend and I went back into the Microsoft Store to get a replacement, I was told Microsoft doesn't make them any more. I really don't know what to say! Is there a recall on these chargers? I am thinking the old design is flawed and should get an adapter for the new style, but there is no such thing or no such thing as a 48 watt charger now for any Surface Pro 2 or Pro 1.
Hope you can help better than the Store, thanks!

malberttoo

I have had 2-48watt charger cables spark and smoke. Both times I was sitting close by, otherwise this could be a potential major hazard if unattended. The area that has failed both times is where the wire goes into the magnetic plug.
The last time was this weekend and I went back into the Microsoft Store to get a replacement, I was told Microsoft doesn't make them any more. I really don't know what to say! Is there a recall on these chargers? I am thinking the old design is flawed and should get an adapter for the new style, but there is no such thing or no such thing as a 48 watt charger now for any Surface Pro 2 or Pro 1.
Hope you can help better than the Store, thanks!

Welcome!

It's wierd... they are listed on Microsoft's store online, but clicking the Buy Now button just redirects you to a generic store. Call the 800 support number and see what they say? They may have access yet to some stock.

If they don't, then I'm not sure what you'd do for an actual OEM replacement.

Edit- Looks like many sellers on Amazon have them both new and used for various prices...

Jasmine

Weird. I had the same issue in December - wire was actually exposed and you could smell it burning. It took them about a month to send the replacement. I find it odd that they no longer have them in stock when they had them 5 months ago (though my SP2 is still under warranty and I contacted them online).

And I'd be careful buying a cheap one from Amazon or ebay. I tried that (while waiting for the replacement) and basically ended up with the same issue of the wire becoming exposed. Only, this time, it took about 2 weeks for the wire to become exposed.

Last edited: