What's new

Pro 2 Stand Defect

I exchanged my other one out due to a screen issue and my new one has this issue. It didn't really bother me at first, but now that I've been holding it in bed, it's driving me nuts. Plus, I feel like this is going to slightly lower the resale value of it. Does anyone else have this problem or know of a fix?

Edit - I've decided I'm just going to exchange It. It's only going to bother me more and more. Hopefully I don't get the 90 day ban soon.

Last edited:
OP
J

jamesk

I exchanged mine but the replacement still is not very flush on the right side however it is much better than the first in so I'm just going to keep it for now. The center is perfectly flush now so it doesn't bother me when hold it in my hand now.

sharpuser

Administrator
Staff member
Have any of you noticed if your Pro 2 has a slight bulge in the back where the flap for the stand and back of the device meet? If I run my finger from the rear camera down to where it says "Surface" , I can fee a rise in the flap when it is closed.
I just checked. No bulge on mine. You may have a slight defect in your unit.

Dutchpiet

Hi checked my surface pro2, after reading of various faults with screen and casing/stand, nothing found it's ok as was my surface RT,
any owners with faults hopefully can exchange for new replacement, as it's a premium product there should be instant exchange
Without question, good luck to any owner with these problems.

bluegrass

I think that you should go back to the store and let them know you insist it be exchanged and for them to notify you when their stock is replenished. Is yours a 256 or 512 model. I can't believe the MS store doesn't have the 64 & 128 models in the store. They can't sell much if the they don't have stock.

PandaSPUR

Just got my SP2 today.

It kindaa has a bulge? Its not perfectly flat.
But I noticed that i can bend the kickstand slightly inwards when its all the way open, and then when i close it, it becomes completely flush.

So honestly, I dont think I care.

PandaSPUR

Okay gonna give this a quick bump, sorry for double post.

But my bulge seems to have gotten worse and I've only owned this thing for 6 days.

I read about VaporMG and how "a single piece of tape can cause a bulge" because thats how tight the tolerances in the machine is.
Sooo.. I took a closer look at the kickstand. Looks like there are three strips of it that are adhered to the inside of the SP2, like a sticker. Not sure what the purpose of that is, but the middle piece looks like it got caught and is now bunched up and stuck to itself.

If I close the kickstand and open it veery slowly, I can hear the "sticker" making the typical sticker peeling sound.

So yea. Getting this thing replaced. Chatting with MS right now.

oion

Okay gonna give this a quick bump, sorry for double post.

But my bulge seems to have gotten worse and I've only owned this thing for 6 days.

I read about VaporMG and how "a single piece of tape can cause a bulge" because thats how tight the tolerances in the machine is.
Sooo.. I took a closer look at the kickstand. Looks like there are three strips of it that are adhered to the inside of the SP2, like a sticker. Not sure what the purpose of that is, but the middle piece looks like it got caught and is now bunched up and stuck to itself.

If I close the kickstand and open it veery slowly, I can hear the "sticker" making the typical sticker peeling sound.

So yea. Getting this thing replaced. Chatting with MS right now.

Interesting. Wonder if that "sticker" in there can/should be removed (the kickstand should be easily removable with a screwdriver, anyway). If all the kickstand "bulge" issues has to do with that errant piece-of-something in there and it can be removed easily without harm, that would be nice.

PandaSPUR

I suspect the "sticker" thing has an actual functional purpose. Kinda like a spring/tensioner for the kick stand.

Imagine this, a sheet of paper is folded in half, most of it is inserted into the Surface.
The bottom half of the sheet is inside of the surface and the tip is glued to the inside.
The top half of the sheet is also mostly inside, except for the tip which is glued to the kickstand.
So when you open the kickstand, it pulls that piece.

Thats why i think it could be used for tension or stability of the stand.

Well either way, I setup an advance replacement with Microsoft. The Rep said that they would inspect my device before they send it out.

Hopefully the replacement fixes my pen issues as well.