What's new

Pro 3 i5-i7 V's Pro 4 m3 ?

totalloser

Hello people,

I've been staring at specs and listings for days and I thought - what the hell ask someone else..
happy.gif

Do you think I should buy a Surface Pro 4 m3 4gb or for roughly the same price a secondhand Surface Pro 3 i5 - i7 packing 8gb?

I know (in the loosest sense of the word) Surface 3 i5 and i7 have 4th Gen processors 1.7 and 1.9 Ghz and the Pro 4's m3 is 6th Gen 2.2 Ghz ... is this differance massive to performance?

But I thought 8gb of ram and an i5 - i7 processor has to be better that a Pro 4 entry level computer no?

The Surface Pro 4 keyboard and pen work on the the Pro 3 and the rest of the upgrades from 3 to 4 would be nice but they're not a deal breaker - Like the slightly larger screen, thinner, lighter, 51ppi extra screen resolution, 'hello' face recognition, magnetic pen holder.

The batteries in an older Pro 3 would probably have done way more cycles which could be a problem as battery life is quite important as I'm practically off-grid. But at the moment I get 3-4 hours on my old laptop and anything over that for me is a comfy bonus.

I design company branding and Web content and live in Adobe Illustrator but I'm more than happy with my 4 year old Acer i5 8gb or ram's abilities to keep up with me. So I'm guessing Pro 3 i5 - i7 with 8gb ram or the m3 Pro 4 could match my old Acer no?

I saw a perfect screened, works perfectly, but battered casing Pro 3 i7 256gb 8gb ram sell on eBay for £420 but that's not everyday. But £550 for a Pro 3 i7 8gb happens and £599 for a Pro 4 m3 with P4 keyboard and P4 pen I can buy right now... should I?

New P4 4gb bundle or P3 i5 - i7 8gb's for the same price, give or take a buck?

Any advice would be great! Then I can finally stop having dreams about computer specs :eek:)

Thanks again.

Steven

jrioux

<snip>
Do you think I should buy a Surface Pro 4 m3 4gb or for roughly the same price a secondhand Surface Pro 3 i5 - i7 packing 8gb?
<snip>
In the States, you also have the option of buying factory refurbished SP3s and SP4s directly from Microsoft and some other sources. They are probably not as cheap as used machines, but you get a 1-year warranty, at least if you buy from Microsoft. You should check whether these are available in the UK.

OP
T

totalloser

In the States, you also have the option of buying factory refurbished SP3s and SP4s directly from Microsoft and some other sources. They are probably not as cheap as used machines, but you get a 1-year warranty, at least if you buy from Microsoft. You should check whether these are available in the UK.

Thanks for the heads up that's a great idea, I'll have a look. ;)